Long, metal feeder any good?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lbeattie, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lbeattie

lbeattie New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    We are getting 2-year old hens and I was given 3 of the long, galvanized feeders. Are these to be used or are they only for chicks or only "old fashioned?"

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A lot of people use a lot of different feeders successfully. Those could work. One of the tricks to reduce feed loss is have the feeders the same height as the chickens back. Also, try to mount them so the chicken cannot perch on the feeder so they don't poop in it.

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    a feeder is a feeder
    they will work fine
    as two yr old hens lay less than 1 yr old hens what type of feeder their feed comes in really doesn't matter
    feed them and they will lay extra large eggs

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I use them anf the other feeders-they are good!

5. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Seems to be working ok for us .

6. lbeattie

lbeattie New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    How do I mount ANYTHING That they cannot get onto? We just got the ladies yesterday...WOW, they really can mess up a place FAST!!![​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you raise them to the level of the chickens' backs, they will mostly stand in front of them to eat. And if they are up against a wall, it would be difficult for them to stand on the feeder so you should not have much trouble with this.

8. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have some long galvanized feeders for my chicks & they work fine, except they are difficult to "slide open" for me. I saw some red plastic ones at TSC the other day that seemed to snap open in an easier manner...I would like to try one of those....

9. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    We took the long galvanized feeders and drilled them to some nice long, flat boards. That way they were up off the ground a little bit and they couldn't step in it and flip it over when eating(a big problem for us).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by