Long Molt?

AShipman

Hatching
Jun 21, 2017
Hi all, I have a silver laced Wyndote that is 2 years old. She began her molt late fall with my other three hens. However, she never seemed to finish. It has been months now and she still looks in the ragged throws of her molt. naked parts on her neck, tail feathers with only the root and no fluff. Anyone familiar with this? She is free range and also gets meal worms at times. She is on a regular diet of organic layer feed from the feed store. My other hens are filled out and beautiful. Oh and I think she is occasionally laying eggs. maybe a few times per week. I am at a loss with what to do about her, and how much worry I should have.

I suspect this in part feed related. Your layer feed likely does well when hens only in lay. Once they go into molt the protein levels are too low. Feather replacement is thus slowed and something about the feathers or skin turned over when diet is too lean makes so feathers fall out later. You may also have external parasites complicating matter.

If it were up to me, the use of diets formulated for egg production would have protein levels bumped up for flocks that are not inside a climate controlled production facility. That would be particularly so if the formulation is also organic. I have been keeping chickens for quite a while and learned from experience and some formal training, what to look for when diets come up short. I have played with the organic formulations a little now and come to conclusion that are not always as good for birds when stressed. When stressed, a little animal protein goes a long way towards making the birds just a little more up on maintenance.

I suspect this in part feed related. Your layer feed likely does well when hens only in lay. Once they go into molt the protein levels are too low. Feather replacement is thus slowed and something about the feathers or skin turned over when diet is too lean makes so feathers fall out later. You may also have external parasites complicating matter.

If it were up to me, the use of diets formulated for egg production would have protein levels bumped up for flocks that are not inside a climate controlled production facility. That would be particularly so if the formulation is also organic. I have been keeping chickens for quite a while and learned from experience and some formal training, what to look for when diets come up short. I have played with the organic formulations a little now and come to conclusion that are not always as good for birds when stressed. When stressed, a little animal protein goes a long way towards making the birds just a little more up on maintenance.

Thank you for your input. It has been suggested to me to give some cat food to up the protein. I am nervous to do that as at the same time was told if there is to much protein we may get some kind of fly infestation that can cause death. The other birds did have successful molts on the same diet. If there were external parasites would the rest of the flock get it or not necessarily? Like I said the others are full and beautiful looking. We will add some protein and see where that gets us. Thank you again for your reply.

I wouldn't feed cat food, the one time I tried mine got the runs. I would switch to a higher protein feed. Layer is formulated to be fed as the sole ration to hens currently laying, if you feed extra stuff you you cut the daily protein intake down too much, also when fed through a molt it can leave them deficient. Though your hen should have eventually grown out the rest of her feathers. Could be she's being plucked by other birds, especially if she's lower in the pecking order.

I wouldn't feed cat food, the one time I tried mine got the runs. I would switch to a higher protein feed. Layer is formulated to be fed as the sole ration to hens currently laying, if you feed extra stuff you you cut the daily protein intake down too much, also when fed through a molt it can leave them deficient. Though your hen should have eventually grown out the rest of her feathers. Could be she's being plucked by other birds, especially if she's lower in the pecking order.
I have not witnessed her being pecked by the other hens. She used to be second in the pecking order, and certainly has dropped. However, the high hen roams the neighborhood most of the day and doesn't seem to pester either of the two hens. Yes we have been told to watch for the runs due to high protein levels.

I have not witnessed her being pecked by the other hens. She used to be second in the pecking order, and certainly has dropped. However, the high hen roams the neighborhood most of the day and doesn't seem to pester either of the two hens. Yes we have been told to watch for the runs due to high protein levels.
One of my salmon faverolle hens is on the bottom of the pecking order and she has her beard plucked out by other birds, I have only observed it once. It often happens in the evening or early morning while they are still on the roosts.

Individuals can be different do to genetics, age, gender, breeding status, and experience just like with humans. The differences can make so individuals even when in a common environment. This can even hold true when animals are isolated to prevent negative social interactions.

Back
Top Bottom