Long Night

aricpelt

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Alamance County, NC
I noticed yesterday afternoon one of my Barred Rocks (2 weeks old tomorrow) was very lethargic... She would slowly walk to a corner and just stand there. Once the group ended up in that corner, she would slowly migrate to the other side and do the same.

She would not eat/drink. I started inspecting her a bit closer and noticed a slight case of "pasty butt". Did not seem to be clogged though. I cleaned her up and put her back in the brooder. I observed her for about 45 minutes and noticed she was still doing the same, but now it appeared she was being bullied by the others.

I moved her into a separate makeshift brooder with food and water. I had to force her to drink by the use of an eye dropper every hour on the hour all night long.

I had to leave for work this morning and hoped she would make it through the day.

When I got home, she seemed to be doing better energy and alertness wise, but she still had not had a drink of the water.

She is eating on her own now, but I am still having to 'Force' fluids down her.

Her stool was what I would describe as a yellow froth. It has since become solid.

Any ideas/tricks/suggestions from you guys?

At that young age whenever I see symptoms like that I treat with Corid in case they/she is brewing a case of coccidiosis. It's probably about the most common issue young birds can come down with.

Just went back to the brooder to start the hourly liquid dosage and she was actually drinking from her waterer.

I'm still thinking of running by Southern States in the morning to pick up some of the Corid.

They are currently on the Manna Medicated Chick Starter. Is there anything wrong with them being on both the medicated feed and water at the same time?

Yes, if you are going to do a course of corrid, do not use the medicated feed...maybe someone that was helping me could pitch in here, I forget why it is not good to do both at the same time
hmm.png
But everyone said not to feed the medicated.

No if you suspect cocci, start immediately, just start feeding an unmedicated feed, stop any medicated as soon as possible, and get that corrid in but NOT with medicated. The crumble I switched to, did not affect their digestive tract at all, the cocci did, horribly. I thought I had lost them. This is day two and they are doing great, and their poo is MUCH better!!! and they are too, running around again, flying around, talking nonstop...it kills fast, but they recover pretty fast too, usually! Best of luck with your little ones!

Thank you! I will be waiting in the parking lot for them to open in the AM!
You are so welcome!!! I flew to TSC for that corrid before they closed. I also picked up some probiotics for AFTER they finish the corrid, am doing the whole 7 days, waiting two weeks and retreating for 7 days. We have had tons of rain, paradise for parasites, which is what cocci is. ONLY give them the corrid. And only offer the one water source. Sorrry didn't read what others have told you, so sorry if I am repeating stuff.
I got some antibiotics just incase they came down with a secondary infection, so far, no signs in my flock. But is there if I need it. I grabbed some save a chick too. I think they guy thought I was gonna give all to them, all at once lol, he was looking at me kinda funny! Try not to get a speeding ticket on your way home!!!!

I have been doing the "Save a Chick" Vitamins and Probiotics as recommended on the package.

I'll save what I have now for later on down the road.

It's just the one chick that started looking in bad shape... the rest of them (as of this post) are still flying around and pecking at anything that they think might be new or something they haven't tried yet....

But from what I've read, it doesn't hurt to give them the medicated water for prevention.

Back
Top Bottom