1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Long Overdue Chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kherokee, Apr 15, 2016.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    My Serama hen has been sitting on 4 viable eggs for what would be about 24 days now. I checked on day 19 for live eggs vs dead eggs and got left with the 4 moving, live babies. Since then the temperatures hae dropped to around 30 and my hen would be kicked off the nest by my bigger hen for only maybe a couple minutes then I finally moved her inside.

I tried to float test the eggs, and all of them left just about 10% of the egg, the size of the aircell, above the water. The 3 just floated mostly submerged but then one egg started to move itself (i'm pretty sure). I've put them back under mama. Other then that I have yet to see any pips, hear any chirps, or feel any significant movement. Maybe the egg didn't really move in the water or maybe it did. Do you guys think I should give them a couple more days or try something new? It's a Serama hen on 4 eggs laid by Seramas, but the father would have likely been a Silkie - so maybe genetics caused a late death in the last stages?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by