Long shot, sexing silkie x cuckoo marans, what to expect?

dandymandie

Songster
Mar 19, 2015
Fort Bragg, Ca
I've been doing some research but can't find much. Is this going to be like waiting to sex silkies? I *thought* I read here before that cuckoo marans will have a white dot on their head if male, but I'm sure the silkie will throw this off. I'm running out of patience! Haha. Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect?
They are due in three days.
Just curious!
Mama and papa

I definitely will post many photos! I haven't been able to find ANY photos of these two crossing and I totally can't wait! I'm thinking grey skin as well? Time will tell, but it's driving me bonkers. Haha

Silkies are usually recessive white instead of dominant white, so he should produce mostly black chicks when crossed with a different breed. The Cuckoo Marans hen can only pass that gene for barring to her male chicks. All the boys should be easily sexed by the white spot on the back of the head, so long as the rooster really is recessive white. If he's dominant white, all the chicks should be mostly white.
Also, the gene for the silkie feathering is recessive, so none of the chicks will be Silkied, but they will be carrying a copy of the gene.

Just a quick question, if he is dominant white, (which I'm not convinced he is, I bought him as a day old from my local feed store) will that spot on the head still indicate sex? Or not be there at all? Thanks again. :)

Think of it this way, 'White' isn't really a true color at all. It's a modifier gene. It changes black patterning into white. A dominant white bird, like a Leghorn, is actually has a solid black pattern with the white gene modifying the black, and converting it to solid white. Dominant white only takes one copy for it to express. Recessive white takes two copies to express.
For black sexlinks (sexlinks that are based on the barring gene), you need that dark down color to see the white spot clearly. If your boy is dominant white, the normally black chick down, will be white/pale yellow. You can't see a light head spot on a light background. You also will not be able to see any barring, since they would be white birds with white stripes.
You can not be sure of which type of white your boy has, since he is hatchery sourced.

Ahh, thank you for the explanation. That makes sense to me now and get it! I've only hatched silkies so I'm just happy there's a chance of knowing the sex this time 'round. Your sharing of knowledge is appreciated!!

The first chick hatched this afternoon! Now I know Blanco the daddy is recessive white. Lol. And the chick has a white dot on his head. He's adorable. Unfortunately I lost a chick whose shell was trampled over. :( one day before expected hatching. Waiting patiently to meet the other 4 chicks!
He kind of looks angry. "Hey lady! I'm getting cold, close the door!"

The first chick hatched this afternoon! Now I know Blanco the daddy is recessive white. Lol. And the chick has a white dot on his head. He's adorable. Unfortunately I lost a chick whose shell was trampled over.
sad.png
one day before expected hatching. Waiting patiently to meet the other 4 chicks! He kind of looks angry. "Hey lady! I'm getting cold, close the door!"
Aww he is adorable!

Back
Top Bottom