Long skinny poop

Oct 5, 2017
Hi All
Thank you for this awesome site. I have had many of my wondering answered here and on need to ask my own question. There was a thread about this (long skinny poop) elsewhere but it seemed to come to an end with minimal contribution and no apparent resolution so I have started another. Now, my question:
One (or more I suppose) of my girls is doing long skinny poop. I find several each day, mostly apparent in the laying boxes. I have four chickens who free range almost daily for several hours at least. Two are Australorps and two are Isa Browns. They are fed a layer mix (17% protein), shell grit, daily vegetable scraps and have plenty of water (with apple cider vinegar and garlic added). Coincidentally, I have one chicken (an Australorp) who is fatter than the other three and only lays once or twice a week - wondering if there is something going on there. I expected her egg production to improve now Spring is here but has done so only minimally. I have checked for mites etc....nothing that I can see; her bottom is super fluffy and tidy. The other 3 lay daily. They are all approximately 1 year - 18 months old.
Thank you!

I think that if they are all healthy and there are no apparent signs of any illness, I wouldn't be worried. Some hens just naturally lay less than some hens. I have heard of silkies who lay 3 eggs a year, and those you lay 150. Crazy! If you are really worried, you can have a vet do a fecal float test. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom