Long sleepless night with a 1602N

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickBond 007, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    My son has become facinated with my Hovabator 1588 and of course, it's full, so he spent his b-day money last evening on a 1602N model which was about $44 from the local farm supply store. He has 18 duck eggs (unknown breed) and 2 goose eggs (also unknown breed) which he received Sunday. I let them sit quietly on the counter while I tried to help him put together and regulate the 1602N with that screw control.
    Talk about a frustrating apparatus!
    So darling son is excited, we believe the unit is set at 101.5 (still air incubator) and going well. We load the eggs and he heads to bed.
    Worry-wart-mom rises at 11pm and notice temp has fallen and turn the screw. Arise at midnight, still slightly low & turn the screw. Arise at 2am to 104 temp spike (can you say AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH) Lid off, screwing back down, frustrated and scared that I've just ruined his little egg project.
    Every half hour, I'm up and I'm checking it, adjusting and finally by morning I have a constant temp of 101.5 (again, still air) and nice humidity for ducks (about 64%).
    What do you think..... did I ruin them with that heat spike?

P.S. I now really, really love my Genesis 1588 plug and play unit.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They might be fine. WIth the 1602n, if you want to raise the temp, put a small washcloth over one of the viewing windows. That is what I do. And I get them temp to about 100. I only use it to hatch eggs, i dont trust it to incubate them.

3. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Ok, one more question. I have no idea what kind of ducks these are. I know some ducks take up to 35 days to incubate.
    Would you guess a 28 day incubation cycle and stop turning on day 25?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:That is what I would do.

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

How long did you let the 1602 run before you put the eggs in it? I have one, and I don't have any problems with mine. I got it last October and it hasn't been cut off all winter. It took me about a day to get my temps and humidity set in it, but everything's held consistently ever since.

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    IF you run it for sevrel hours and it stays steady , when you put youre eggs in the temp WILL drop due to the eggs being cooler then the bator , you DO NOT need to adjust for this , if you do when the eggs reach bator temp you could get a spike.
    THey should be ok 2 hours at 2-3 degrees or so above normal should be ok .
    Good luck

7. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Well, we tried to adjust for about 4 hours. In retrospect, I should have waited a full day and just let those eggs continue to sit on the counter.
    However.... darling son was soooooo excited. He'd spent ALL of his money (plus Dad paid $4 and the tax for him.) It was hard to resist.
    If the good Lord intervenes on these things, I'm sure he looked down at that excited little boy last night and dismissed a couple degrees. I'm sure praying so.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Sorry if I sounded grumpy , I was just trying to get the info strait , I havent had any coffee and had a very late night. Im shure they will be fine. [​IMG]

9. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Grumpy? Ah heck no. Just informative. [​IMG]

10. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I know how it is with excited little chicken lovers! [​IMG]
    I have a 3 1/2 year old who babysits the incubator when the chickies start pipping! I wonder who he got that from? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by