Long story... do you think this chick can make it?

damicochickens

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
This baby chick hatched and after about 22-24 hours it still wasn’t dry. We did some googling and cleaned the sticky membrane off with a damp, warm paper towel and blow dried the chick until it was completely dry (it took about an hour to do). We put him with the other chicks in the brooder and he has been sleeping for about 3 hours consistently and doesnt seem to be able to walk very well, almost shuffled around when he gets disturbed by the other chicks. Is his legs just weak? Could I have hurt his legs when cleaning him off? I don’t like the waiting game to see if he will make it but does anyone have any advice or experience? Thank you for reading. ***In the picture he is the one laying alone***

Attachments

• 5F45E251-52C1-40F2-9680-BF8EF08C418C.jpeg
    5F45E251-52C1-40F2-9680-BF8EF08C418C.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 9

MGG

❄ Anxiously Awaiting Spring ❄
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Midwest USA
This baby chick hatched and after about 22-24 hours it still wasn’t dry. We did some googling and cleaned the sticky membrane off with a damp, warm paper towel and blow dried the chick until it was completely dry (it took about an hour to do). We put him with the other chicks in the brooder and he has been sleeping for about 3 hours consistently and doesnt seem to be able to walk very well, almost shuffled around when he gets disturbed by the other chicks. Is his legs just weak? Could I have hurt his legs when cleaning him off? I don’t like the waiting game to see if he will make it but does anyone have any advice or experience? Thank you for reading. ***In the picture he is the one laying alone***
I think he'll be fine. He's probably just exhausted. Was he still wet after hatching or just sticky? Can you offer him some electrolyte or sugar water? You also might want to take that bigger chick out, he might trample him. I would suggest setting up a small brooder inside of that brooder box so he can have his own little separate "room" to regain his strength. It can just be a smaller box in the big one with some bedding. They can share the same lamp if you put the separate box in a good spot in there.

damicochickens

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2019
I think he'll be fine. He's probably just exhausted. Was he still wet after hatching or just sticky? Can you offer him some electrolyte or sugar water? You also might want to take that bigger chick out, he might trample him. I would suggest setting up a small brooder inside of that brooder box so he can have his own little separate "room" to regain his strength. It can just be a smaller box in the big one with some bedding. They can share the same lamp if you put the separate box in a good spot in there.
Okay thank you so much!

Flat Earth

Songster
Apr 15, 2017
Might help with the sticky chick?
I have used Corn starch to gently in small dose not to dust up clouds of it, gently little over the area of the chick to help with the sticky.. Bare in mind, this is at your Own Risk!

Flat Earth

Songster
Apr 15, 2017
And he was sticky after hatching. And what is the sugar electrolyte water? Can I make that at home?
Homemade Electrolytes for Chickens

• One gallon of water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients together until dissolved.

Only give electrolytes to chickens on an as-needed basis and only for a few days at a time, alternating between electrolyte water and regular water. Too much salt can be damaging to a chicken’s health.

MGG

Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Midwest USA
Okay thank you so much!
No problem :)
And he was sticky after hatching. And what is the sugar electrolyte water? Can I make that at home?
Ok. 👍
Poultry electrolytes such as Sav-A-Chick poultry powder can be mixed with water, and those would help. If you don't have any of that, you can give either a few drops of Gatorade (get a drop on your finger, or saturate a q-tip with the Gatorade, and rub it on the side of his beak. He'll lick it off.)
Or, if you would rather do it with your finger, just gently hold the drop on the end of his beak so he can lick it off. This is an easier and better method, but if you're not comfortable doing it use a q-tip. They can aspirate easily so be careful.
Sugar water or molasses are ok too, if you have those.

MGG

Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Midwest USA
Homemade Electrolytes for Chickens

• One gallon of water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients together until dissolved.

Only give electrolytes to chickens on an as-needed basis and only for a few days at a time, alternating between electrolyte water and regular water. Too much salt can be damaging to a chicken’s health.
I was just about to search my screenshots for that, thank you!

Xouie

Crowing
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
For electrolytes, can Gatorade be used in a pinch?

Edit: And you answered the question as I was typing!

Top Bottom