Long tail/crower

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kenneth Flippen, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Kenneth Flippen

Kenneth Flippen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    I have searched the internet over several times trying to find information on these breeds I have found a little on the long crowers but next to nothing on the long tail fowl I have been interested in these 2 breeds the past couple of years. any info at all will help

Kenneth Flippen

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I've got 4 little longcrowers in my brooder right now, denizli, and that is about all I know about it. But I just found this wonderful page.: http://www.longtail-fowl.com/home.html Check it out

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Type in Yokahama. Youll find some. (check out my page for a few pics.)

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
  5. Kenneth Flippen

Jan 3, 2010
    onagadori the breed I've tried to find out the most on thier tails are said to grow to great lengths if I under stand right there is a such thing as a non moulting line. the websites were helpful thanks keep us updated on you denzili babies

Kenneth

http://countrywhatnotgardens.com/bantamlongtails/

this is the site I have kept my eye on I have spoken with them through e-mail a few times but haven't gotten anywhere if you like gamefowl thier china games are great lookin birds I have a spot for gamefowl bantam and standard

6. Sir Birdaholic

My yokahamas are said to have about a 5 foot tail in the barn lot, & can grow up to 20 foot. Mine are almost 2 years old & they drag around about 3 foot of tail. The world record Yokie tail is 34 foot 9 inches. WOW!!![​IMG]

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:OK, firstly, there are no true Onagadori in the US, and there are some people who are real touchy on the correct name for the Onag. desendants we do have here in the US. There as an Onag, thread but it got closed from the arguing about the name, they are a japanese breed and they require EXSTREAM Maintainance to get the long 20+ ft long tails, I believe I also read that have to have a very specific diet, feed with corn in it I believe with eventually kill them from some kind of build up that eventually poisons them, but TommyVT05, is working on some kind of generic line and would probably be your sourse for the info on the closest thing to the Onags. He also has a friend that probably has the best ones, if you are willing to put in the exstream care, here is his site, http://www.TommysPetParadise.com , you can contact him and ask him to give you a link to the Onag forum, and maybe you can find other info there.

The site that you posted belongs to Toni-Marie Austin, she is also a member here and the on the Onag. forum. But from what I've heard, she is the goddess of longtails here in the US and I plan on getting Bantam Phoenix eggs, from her in the spring. I know what you mean by the email thing, she keeps it short and sweet, but she sounds like a really nice lady from when I've talked with her and I look forward to getting eggs from her.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  8. Sir Birdaholic

Dw took more photos a[​IMG] few minutes ago. I'll see if she got more shots of the Red Shouldered Yokahamas.

Sorry, none came out. Too cold to take more pics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  9. Kenneth Flippen

Jan 3, 2010
    Thanks for the replies I wondered about the maintenance and its not something I have time for right now I didn't realize Yokohama's had such tails I have always liked them and the red shoulder are my favorite of the colors I've seen

Kenneth Flippen

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I haven't researched a lot on the Yokos, but I know with most all longtails, even the pheonix still require some special care if you intent for their tails to get longer than a foot or two. They can be broken off if they get wet and muddy or when other birds steps on their tails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by