Long tail fowl

iajewel

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Corning IA
Does anyone know what the longest tail breed that is available here in the US? I would like to try and raise one and have studied the feed etc, however all my info came from over seas. I would like to find one here in the US

Quote:
The longest tail breed is the Japanese Onagadori, however there are no true Onags here in the US, just decendants from some Onag roos that Japan gave to the US years ago. So here the US, your best be would probably be to get some from/ or derived from Mr Cy Hyde. He has birds with high percentage Onagadori in them. Other possible longtail sources that I can think of would be my buddy Aubrey ( Boggy Bottom Bantams on here) he has some birds from Cy Hyde. Toni Marie Astin, shes a reknown breeder who lives here in Ga as well and she has some of the best longtails with imported blood in them too. And BYC member onagadori on here has some nice longtails. I believe she has some sumatra and yokohama infused into some of hers as well.

Last edited:
Quote:
PM Boggy Bottom Bantams and he can give you his number. He just got a pair of Whites, a pair of lavenders, and a black roo from him and he should be able to get you in contact with him. They are going to be EXPENSIVE though, so be prepared for that.

I know some roosters go for around 1200 but Im assuming thats not a chick. I really just wan't one younger rooster.. I don't know how shipping that would work? Maybe 6 eggs?

Quote:
Now that wouldnt be a chick and most of the longtail breeders dont even sell chicks or eggs so you would want to get started roo most likely or maybe a pair. I dont remember how much Aubrey said he paid for his, I think it was maybe a couple hundred per pair.

And the shipping would be regular express shipping which would run in the ballpark of $60 .

Back
Top Bottom