Long term affects from sinus infection???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camershek, Oct 11, 2016.

1. camershek

camershek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    My hen had a sinus infection that we noticed August 15. Got antibiotics and the swelling went down. She's been on them off and on since then. After about 3 weeks she started eating in her own again. She lost a bunch of weight and went down to about 2 lbs (started as a big fat healthy bird) she has gotten any bigger, still eats and drinks on her own, she's up and around throughout the day but still keeps her eyes shut 95% of the day and they are a little watery all the time.

I'm just wondering if any one has had this with their chickens. It seems all that's gotten better is her swelling, breathing and eating. She stills walks all stumbly and we believe she's partially blind in one eye now (doesn't quickly react when you swat towards it)

Is there anything else I can be doing to help her feel better?

Photos attached were taken August 16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Can you give some more info? Where did you get the antibiotics, what kind did you use, and for how long? Why do you think it was a sinus infection and not something else? I mean did you consult a vet, or find out some other way? What symptoms did she have besides the swelling? If she has lost that much weight it is very possible she has worms...have you ever dewormed her? You can get a fecal sample from her and ask a vet to look for parasites for you. Most vets will, regardless of whether or not they treat birds. Our vet charges about 15.00 to do this. When you say she was on antibiotics ?off and on" that makes me think she never did get over the problem sufficiently, so you had to start them up again?

So first of all, she should be in a hospital pen, where she can maybe still hear and see the others, but she's not contaminating them in case she is contagious, and she has a little privacy, because sick birds do like a place to hide and be quiet.

Second, if I were you, I'd get the fecal test done. The droppings have to be less than 24 hours old for best results.

Depending on what that shows, you can treat with a broad spectrum dewormer, and/ or Corid, if she has Coccidiosis too.

Worms can make a bird very sick and cause some of the symptoms you mentioned, although the blindness could be related to her other (sinus) issues. They also will open the door for other problems, as the bird's immunity drops if it has parasites.

It's entirely possible that she doesn't have worms and this could be something else, so also please share the info we need about the antibiotics that you gave her.

3. camershek

camershek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Sand lake, Michigan
    We got the antibiotics from our avian vet. He said it sounds like a sinus infection. He gave us tylan powder. She was swollen, breathing funny, wouldn't eat or drink, wouldn't stand. She was on antibiotics for about 10 days in August (18-27) and again mid September to beginning of this month.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK, so then best thing to do would be to follow up with the vet, and tell him that what he or she prescribed is not working. You can also ask him or her about the deworming. That's good that you have a vet you can consult. Please let us know what the vet says.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Time to talk to the vet about trying a different antibiotic and to address the weight loss issue.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by