Long term egg storage

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jrmewag, May 19, 2016.

1. jrmewag

jrmewag New Egg

Jun 25, 2015
    Admin please move if I've posted in the wrong place :)

I was wondering after some research about the things I have seen regarding long term egg storage. Other than dehydrating, canning etc it seems improbable buttttt, I have seen a few people (not on here) saying you can coat an egg with oil and it will stay fresh/usable up to 9months.

Has anyone heard of this?

2. SilkieChickStar

SilkieChickStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    I haven't heard that, you can crack and freeze eggs though

3. jrmewag

jrmewag New Egg

Jun 25, 2015

Hey husband stumbled upon this....sounded pretty unstable to me lol. I figured if anyone knew it would be here.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  4. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I ran across a post a long time ago on here that linked some studies that were done. You might try searching the site.

I do remember that eggs coated in anything lasted a shorter duration. The longest lasting ones were kept in a cool place. I believe the ones which lasted the longest and were still edible were around the 6 month time frame. The whites were more watery, they were not spoiled but probably at the age not the best to use for fried or scrambled eggs. Baking would probably be fine.

5. mikeldb

mikeldb Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    carrollton ga
    Coated in mineral oil and stored in an old non working fridge "cool dry place", they did last 6 to 12 months depending

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by