1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Long term lurker. First time poster. Thanks for taking my call, love the show. ;)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by QuietPony, Feb 24, 2013.

1. QuietPony

QuietPony Chillin' With My Peeps

My name is Sara. I've been stopping in for advice for quiet sometime, and figured it was time to stop lurking and say hello. So, hello! [​IMG]

I live in Wisconsin and have been in the animal rescue scene my whole life. From shelter work, to in home fostering until adoption, and even helping out at our local wildlife emergency shelter. I also volunteer with a therapeutic horse ranch and have done work with the Humane Society of the US and their mobile spay/neuter pet clinics on reservations in South Dakota. I like pets. I simply LOVE all things fluffy, fuzzy and warm. I think they are totally way more awesome than the majority of people I come across in an average day.

I also really like animal people. You know the kind. The ones who don't point out all the dog hair on your work shirt or weird crustings on your yard shoes. The ones who could talk for hours about their dogs, cats, or random pets and never be bored or boring. YoU are most likely one of those people, so yoU are absolved from my former statement on people I come across on a daily basis. ;)

This spring will be my first with chicks. I am beyond excited. I have supplies all ready and a number of hard copies of magazines and books on the cluckers. We also have a modified brooder for the babes and well over half the supplies for the cooper which we will put together once the weather turns in our favor.

I have three kids and an amazing man. There will be more about them as it becomes relevant.
    All my pets are rescues, as follows;

~Cash A neurotic puppy mill chocolate lab who I got when he was 6 months. I have him figured out now after three+ years, so he's here to stay. We just have to walk him at night when the chances are lower of him seeing someone else. He's terribly embarrassing in any public situation, but really a gentle giant. Just.. well. His nickname is "Derp." I think that says it all.

~Two Socks An amazing mutt that I rescued while on a trip to south dakota's reservation land with the HSUS. She's almost a year old and looks like a little coyote in the moonlight. I imagine I will have the most problems with her and the Cluckers, as she was 4 months when I got her and prior too coming to me, never had food served to her in a bowl. She had to fend for herself. Our bedroom is in the finished basement of a decades old house. We had a problem with mice prior to inviting her into our home. Best breed guess, red heeler/shep/coyote ;) Her brother who I also brought home from that trip is living with my best friend.

~Tubby A fat orange tabby that I raised from the very day he was born. Tubbs and his three siblings were found in a tree stump in a schoolyard by a bunch of kids out for recess. Their chance of survival at that age was slim, but given that kids found them and there were many adoption inquiries at the time they were brought to our shelter, I decided to give it a go. About a week into this newborn kitten chaos, enter:

~Pipsqueak A tiny brown tabby that was found in a grocery store parking lot on a cold rainy day with two siblings. They seemed to be a little older than the litter of 4 that I already had at that time. Because they were so young and cold and one of the siblings died in transport to our shelter, the manager on duty said they would be put to sleep unless they went into foster that instant. I figured, meh, what's two more. Oh, and also, I'm a sucker. ....I will never foster that many bottle baby kittens at once. Ever. Never again. lol

I also have a fish tanks with a crazy fish and guinea pig, but those are stories for another day.

I like photography, music, weird news and canoeing.
    I enjoy writing, as evidenced by the length of this post. lol
    I can't wait to write about my Bok-Boks!

Nice to meet you all! Thanks for the insightful advice I have already gotten just from lurking.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

3. ChickenBoy13

ChickenBoy13 New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC! I hope you find everything you're looking for and more! I think you will find raising chickens an addictive and healthy way to improve your lifestyle! Enjoy!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, QuietPony, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your Spring Chickens!!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by