1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Long time chicken dreamer...First time chicken owner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelloggKid, Apr 8, 2011.

1. KelloggKid

KelloggKid Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Lancaster County, PA
    Just joined BYC this evening & I'm enjoying reading about all the other new chick additions out there.
    We have a few of our own as well and I'm so excited to finally own some chickens. In fact, my wife hasn't been so happy with me lately due to these crazy chicks. I've shirked some of my other duties to create free time to build a coop. I just couldn't tear myself away from it for a while.

I'll post a few pics here however they are duplicates to the pics I put on my first blog (about chickens of course!)
    Here is the blog link if you want to check it out.

http://backyardchickenfever.blogspot.com/

I've been holding off naming them unless I know for sure they are hens. I'm afraid the roosters might be difficult to part with once they have names.
    Partridge Cochin
    [​IMG]
    Light Brahma
    [​IMG]
    Mottled Cochin Bantam
    [​IMG]

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    [​IMG] and congratulations!

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Kellog? That means you need to have Welsummers! [​IMG]

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Michigan

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from near the California State Capitol!

Wolftracks is right: the ORIGINAL rooster (photograph) on the early Kellogg's cereal box was a Welsummer. (I love Welsummers.) However, I broke the rule and named one of my Black Copper Marans crosses Kellogg - perhaps this photo will explain why. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KelloggKid

Apr 8, 2011
    Lancaster County, PA
    I've never even heard of a Welsummer and forgot about that rooster on the box too! Nice looking roo gryeyes!!

I live near the Kellogg plant here in PA but actually picked up the nickname because I went on the Special K cereal diet at work. I ate so much cereal that my co-workers started calling me the KelloggKid.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome!

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG]

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:LOL.........That's a good reasom

I have a Wellie roo about 2 months old that I;m naming Cornelius after the Corn Flake rooster. I love love love Wellie and so does my 14 year old.

Linda he does look like one. LOL

Where in PA is the Kellog plant?

9. KelloggKid

Apr 8, 2011
    Lancaster County, PA
    Quote:It's in Landisville, PA just northwest of Lancaster. I used to work at my uncle's farm stand over the summers that was across the road and grew to love the constant smell of corn flakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by