1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

long time creeper, finally a member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alldembirds, Oct 19, 2013.

1. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Hi my name is Aarden. I live in far far far southwest missouri. I was raised on a commercial chicken farm so you could say I know a thing or two about chickens. The last couple of years I have had to live in the city with my girlfriend, but we bought 15 very rural acres of land and have started building our tiny cottage it should be done within a month ( knock on wood). The reason I decided to create an account was that Im pretty confident when it comes to chickens but what I really want are guineas and i dont personally know anybody with guineas but growing up my friends mom had some and they were magical, and before I go off the grid thought i could gather as much information now as i can before its not available.

I'm very interested in hearing methods of raising all kinds of animals the old fashion way, ways that dont involve electricity , or things i can grow to medicate and feed my animals. this is important to me becouse i will be living without electricity at all and eventually would like to buy more land and not have any reasons to leave it at all.

besides guineas fowl i am also interested in getting involved with guinea hogs , boer goats, chickens, and ducks!

also i have three pitbulls a deaf one named graycie, http://deafdogsrock.com/graycies-happy-tail , and daughters jawa and agnus
    and i will have unregistered fullblood pups from time to time ( not from graycie anymore)

Well i look forwarding to conversing with you all i have read alot of your forum posts for well over a year so i already feel like I know some of you.

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Hi from Florida!!!! Check out Green Fire Farms they have other types of farm animals.

There is a lot on self sustaining farms here on the forum. I like the idea of being totally self sufficient. Of course it may just be in my genetic make up because my grandparents were pioneers in Alaska and my ancestors tamed the west and brought people across the Oregon Trail.
    Glad you joined us.

I look forward to reading your posts!
    Caroline

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. alldembirds

Oct 19, 2013
    i know what you mean about it being in your blood Caroline my family was one of the very first families in kentucky. You can read about one of my ancestors named George Burkhart

"If Harlan County has a foundation myth, it must be the story of George Burkhart, an Indian fighter and scout from Virginia, of Dutch (i.e., German) descent, who came to Cranks Creek probably around 1806. He was apparently born in 1741, is first documented as owning two tracts of land on Cranks Creek in 1806, was remarried in 1833 and died in 1849 or 1850. This is how his story was recapitulated by the local newspaper, drawing from oral sources: "They had two beds and a fire place with a fluke. One of the beds was in one of the roots of the tree where a man could roll up in blankets and sleep comfortably for the night. Burkhart was from Virginia. Isaac Burkhart was born in the sycamore tree house. Isaac told that they had a brush fence around the sycamore tree to keep the bears out. They kept some sheep within the enclosure and bears would come around the fence at night and try to grab the sheep. One night they became very frightened as a bear got inside the enclosure, and put his feet on top of the fence. At this point Isaac's mother grabbed a gun as the bear jumped back. She fired the gun, shot the bear, and killed it."

he really was the one to inspire me. If he can live in a tree with several kids and his wife, with hostile indian attacks i feel anything is possible . It is so fun to read stories about him, they can be found on the easily on the internet he was my grandpa i dont know how many greats

im so excited to be here im trying my hardest not to ramble

ty all for the warm welcome

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Before you disappear on us, have a look at our sister site, www.SufficientSelf.com for some off-grid living tips :) Enjoy the site!

6. alldembirds

Oct 19, 2013
    oh wow i have never seen that site thank you

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You're welcome. SS is a great forum with a wealth of good and interesting information. For other animals we also have www.BackYardHerds.com. There will most likely be some old timers who can advice you on natural husbandry as well. Enjoy!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts