Long time hatching

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilMissChz, Apr 22, 2012.

1. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Okay, so my day 28 was 2 days ago. Only one egg (of five) had a slight crack, that I could see. Based on where the other pips are, it's possible there were other pips/cracks that I just couldn't see. 2 days later, today I have 4 pips, one of those is zipped and peeping... but still no one is officially hatched yet. One that looked like it's bill was sticking out has stopped progress and hasn't moved. Yes, I am nervous, but I haven't opened the incubator because my temp and humidity are perfect!!

How long does it take to hatch out duck eggs? My chicken eggs didn't take nearly as long. However, my chicken eggs also took only 21 days to incubate. Suffice to say, ducks take longer to hatch?

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    What breed are your duck eggs? Some breeds can take longer (Muscovey, I think?)

Even when they reach the 28 day stage (for those which take that long), it can take up to 3 days for the chicks to fully break out.

The one egg which successfully hatched from my 3 egg incubator actually hatched 2 days *before* the 28th day [​IMG] and was pretty fast in getting out too!

It's a game of patience I think.

Good luck and I hope you have a duckling or two very soon!

3. LilMissChz

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I have Saxony eggs that I purchased here from another user.

4. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    I have no experience of Saxony; perhaps PM the user and ask their advice?

5. LilMissChz

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    We finally got one. Another is progressing. One drowned and was "glued" to the floor of the incubator. Another died in the shell after pipping and the fifth is doing absolutely nothing.

[​IMG]

6. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Sorry to hear about your losses [​IMG]

But the one you have is absolutely cute overload!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2!! helps to make up for the ones you lost. Hope the one progressing will make it out so this one will have a buddy.. [​IMG]

8. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    That happened to one of my eggs. I only have a mini incubator and holds 3 chick eggs or 2 duck eggs (max). Once my first duckling was born, the instructions said to keep it in the incubator for the first 24hrs. This I did. But, some of the 'goo' from the duckling leaked under the 2nd egg and it stuck.

Next time I do this, I'm going to put some damp kitchen towel down under the eggs in the hope of preventing sticky-stuckness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by