Long time listener, first time caller

BMONoire

Chirping
Aug 30, 2019
British Columbia, Canada
I got my first chickens last year after I finally got my husband to agree to it after 3 years. They lived for 2 months before something got them. They were there one minute and gone the next, we spent hours searching for them or any clue and it ended with me crying like a child that lost their first pet and swearing to never get chickens again. Less than a year later I now have 4 Sussex who I drove 6 hours to pick up, raised from a day old and watch like a hawk (the loving kind, not the kind that probably ate my first 3). They have just started to lay (right on schedule) and I am nervously awaiting our first Canadian winter together, although, BYC has been very helpful in ensuring that I am prepared for my little ladies once the snow hits.

When I am not watching my chickens for hours I like to spend time with my cat (who likes to sit in the coop and watch chickens with me) and dogs. I also read voraciously, sew, mountain climb, mountain bike, kayak and snowboard. So many hobbies and not enough time. Luckily, my husband also enjoys all of these things so I always have fantastic company on any adventure.

I started following BYC about 2 years ago when I getting prepared for my dream chickens and it has been my go to for everything chicken ever since. I have finally joined now that I have a question that there isn't already a forum/thread for.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community. I think it would be good if you would check out the thread, "Canadians, check in here." for information regarding best breeds for the climate, best type of coop etc. I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Sussex breed but, Chanticleers were developed in Canada to survive the severe weather..
Thanks for the info, I will head straight to that thread! My options were limited for breed choice and these ones were recommended but I'll look into Chanticleers for the future.

wave high happy.gif welcome mega phone w (1).gif welcome mega phone w.gif

Back
Top Bottom