Long time lurker, first time poster

Chandra Prater

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
on the outskirts of Los Angeles
Hi! I'm Chandra and my family and I keep a small flock. We have been using BYC since before we even got our birds but I finally decided to join.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We got our birds at the end of July last year. They were about a week old when we got them so we got to raise them from chicks. We wanted the birds to feel comfortable being handled since we wanted our birds to walk the fine line between pet and livestock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 6 chickens and 1 duck. All of them are female.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have 2 Barred Rocks (Sky and Pebble), 2 Rhode Island Reds (Big Red and Little Red), 1 White Leghorn (Foggy), 1 Buff Orpington (Pigwidgeon), and 1 Muscovy duck (Admiral Quackbar).

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Any question about chickens we Googles, BYC was in the first few results.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I cross-stitch, shoot my bow, and garden but none of them enough.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm a stay-at-home mom with 1 grade schooler; it's a pretty sweet gig, if you can land it. We also have 3 cats who would love to meet the chickens but are instead forced to longingly peer out the sliding glass door. All of us are good with the birds but we call our daughter The Chicken Whisperer.

We got the Admiral as an impulse purchase. She was at a pet store where she didn't have enough water or space. We already had a comfortable poultry set up so we decided to get her. With the chickens, we research for months; with the Admiral, it has been very learn-as-you-go.

Back
Top Bottom