Long-Time Lurker, First Time Poster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Winslow Chooks, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Winslow Chooks

Winslow Chooks New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi Folks!

I have been visiting this site and your forums for awhile now and thought it was about time that I joined in the fun!
    I live with my husband on 8 acres in the Pacific Northwest, tucked away in the hills between the Willamette Valley and Mt. Hood.

In my flock:

6 Brahmas
    8 Americaunas
    2 Sebrights (cockerels)
    2 Black Cochin Bantams (1 roo, 1 hen)
    1 Java
    1 Buff Orpington
    1 Bantam Mille Fluer Cochin
    1 Breda (roo)

+ 2 Khaki Campbell (ducks who think they're chickens)

I excited to learn together!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. You have a nice mixed flock. The Ameraucanas (actually ours are Easter Eggers as true Ameraucanas lay only blue eggs) are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I love your mixture of breeds! Love your territory too. Gorgeous part of the world you live in. [​IMG]

Enjoy all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a really nice flock!

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to our's!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the Byc flock [​IMG]. You've got about 2 roosters too many, or are short about 18 hens. Roosters can handle 10 hens each - less than that and the poor girls get overbred, injured and worse. Also the roos may end up fighting over the few hens there are.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the number of roosters. The only really good reason to add a rooster to your flock is if you want fertilized eggs for hatching. Unless you follow the recommended 1 rooster for every 10 hens ratio, the roosters will be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). I end up responding to members threads, four or five times a week on average, who are having serious problems because they have too many roosters.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Winslow Chooks

Winslow Chooks New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks for the reminder on the roosters, I am currently finding homes for the two Sebright Roos, and planning on increasing the number of hens in our flock too! Since the Sebrights are only 3 months, they're not mating yet and I have time to re-home them before any competition begins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by