1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Long time Lurker- Now New Member, from Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by black75betty, Feb 23, 2013.

1. black75betty

black75betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Palmer, AK
    Hello!

I just joined after indulging in this site for about 2 years now. I am heading into my 3rd year keeping chickens. I started with 1 Dark and 1 Light Brahma, 2 RIRs, 2 Golden Comets and 2 cochin/production blacks off of Craigslist. A rooster who was supposedly a Rhode Island White (although he had a SC), was added a few months in from a teacher friend who had hatched him in her classroom. Today- as is prone to happen- I have 26 chickens of a wide assortment. Most are hatchery usuals- some not. I have a splendid, huge Blue Orphington rooster who I adore- who is from breeder stock.

I also have 2 Sweatgrass turkey toms from Porter's Turkeys stock, and 2 Narraganset hens.

Right now, I am looking to improve the quality of my flock- and direct my obsession with my chickens, and raising my own food- by acquiring Standard/Heritage bred chickens, specifically the true dual-purpose breeds. I feel like I have dialed in my chicken care/knowledge, have a market for my eggs, a taste for well-raised meat and also now have a great well-insulated/ventilated coop- and so I want to take my chicken raising in a direction that is more in line with my general interests in self-sustainability and an appreciation for the genetics of our farm products- as they existed before "corporate ag" took over.

I am a lifelong organic gardener, a food nerd, and make all natural soap.

This site is great- and has been invaluable in getting me to the stage where I am today.

Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, black75betty, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Happy you have found BYC to be useful to you you in your poultry keeping. Best of luck and have fun!

4. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    Welcome from Missouri [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You are the true example of chicken math - welcome to BYC.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. black75betty

black75betty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Palmer, AK
    Thanks everyone!

8. akmom28

akmom28 New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Hi black75betty,

I also just joined the forum. I'm from Seward and have yet to purchase my chicks. I would love to hear more about your experiences with chickens here in AK.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills.

There are quite a few Alaskan folks on BYC - check out the "Where am I - Where are you?" forum to meet even more BYCers in your neck of the woods, so to speak.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]from Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by