Long time no see.. update on 5 month old Balbinka *Pics*

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Balbinka, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Hey everyone!

Been busy with the horse and enjoying life.

Balbinka the 5 month old blue splash Sebastopol is doing wonderfully. She is absolutely beautiful and by far the largest goose I have ever met in my life. I kid you not she is the size of a Giant Dewlap, just not as fatty. I would estimate her weight to be at least 12 pounds. She has become more indepedant with age and looks out for the chickens extremely well. She always has her eye on the sky and is ready at a moments notice to herd her peeps to safety if she sees something. And although indepedant, we still have special cuddle time. It takes me patiently sitting for about 7-10 minutes, then she will crawl onto my lap and literally give me a hug with her neck and gently run her beak over my eyelashes and lips honking that she loves me. She would stay there forever if I did not have to get up.

Having a goose has taught me so much. Geese directly reflect the care you not only give to them, but to your other animals as well. They give you as much affection as you deserve unlike a dog who will love anybody. There was a time when I did not handle Balbinka for about two weeks. She became very shy and didn't want to interact with me. She abandoned me emotionally until I started working with her again and paying more one on one time attention to her. We now have cuddle time every other day. She keeps the lawn nice and short and keeps the chickens in order. Balbinka enjoys coming in the house once in a while when we leave the door open. She enjoys irritating the cats and watching television.

I look forward to always sharing my home with a goose or a chicken. Balbinka has taught me so much and I am grateful for it.

When I get my own place, she will be staying here with my parents and the chickens. This is an amazing life for her out here on 14 acres free to roam and I look forward to visiting her regularly. Until then, I am always grateful to spend more time with her and observe her amazing intelligence every day and I absolutely cannot wait to experience eventually obtaining another gosling or chick to raise as a house pet once again.

Hopefully I can get back in the game here on BYC. I enjoy it here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    What a wonderful post. You are very descriptive in your writing. I love it.

I would love it even more with MORE pictures. She is a beauty...would like to see more of her. [​IMG]

3. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:Thank you! I will try to get more soon. Her chest curls are impressive.

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Always love your pics.
    Hope you had a great summer.
    Thanks for the update! [​IMG]

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Wow, what a nice post. You sure do have a great way of looking at how she treats you. How nice to bond with her like you do! (I am envious)

6. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Thank you all for the warm welcome back!
    Here are two more photos, excuse the horrendously dirty beak LOL:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Wow....she is a beauty!!!

When I got geese fever about a month ago, I read through every single page of this forum, and because your baby has such an original name I remember seeing all the pictures you have posted of her. She really is gorgeous!!! And, it is posts like yours that make me want my geese RIGHT NOW, but I am holding off till spring to make sure I really want to take the plunge. I love to read stories and posts about geese who are so well loved and love so well in return. Thank you so much for sharing.

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi there

Yes long time no see but good to see you around again [​IMG]

Balbinka's certianly changed over the summer and love her curled breast feathers, she looks lovely [​IMG]

Just on the verge of getting our first Seabstopols over here [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

9. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    [​IMG]

I swear her beak was clean this morning!
    LOL... Sebastopols and their mud.

Thank you for the compliments everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by