1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Long time reader - New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WamsleyB, May 6, 2017.

1. WamsleyB

WamsleyB New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Hello, I have been a long time reader of Backyardchickens.com and cannot even imagine all the great information I have received so far and decided to take the leap and join. In the past my small flock consisted the egg laying varieties but two years ago I decided to get some Silkies chicks to raise. I have been purchasing only SQ Silikes from local breeders. Wasn't planning to breed them and whenever a really nice rooster popped up that I wanted to keep I would have it neutered. Then came a call from a very nice lady looking for a good home for her Chocolate Splash Rooster. She was told by the City to remove the rooster or they would take it away. I did want a Chocolate Silikie to add to my flock so I told her I had no restriction on roosters and would give it a nice home. The photo she sent showed a very nice light chocolate brown Silkie but no splash coloring. We arranged for pickup and at that time I asked if she knew what the parents looked like. She hadn't seen the father but was told it was a Chocolate Splash and the mother was white with black splotches so I immediately thought it may be a Paint. Ended up breeding him with my Blue, Partridge and Black Silkie hens but for some reason wouldn't breed with my White hen. The babies are now 9 days old and in addition to a Partridge and five Blues the colors are starting to develop on the whiter colored chicks. Two appear to be Paints, one Light Chocolate, three Splash and one is still completely white. It will be interesting to see how they look as they mature. Anyway, once I see the final coloring and if they develop into some beautiful birds I will probably be breeding more. Looking forward to receiving lots of help along the way from members of backyardchickens.com

Thanks

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Would LOVE to see photos of your chicks. I've never seen chocolate silkies - wow. You may also want to introduce them on the "silkie thread."

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. There's a few silkie threads - the search box will help you find them.

Best wishes
    CT

4. WamsleyB

WamsleyB New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Thank you for the welcome and advice on the "Silike Threads", I am not 100% sure if my rooster is a Chocolate Splash but the women I got him from said the breeder had said so. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post one of him and the babies.. He has an off-white base coat with chocolate brown highlights along the ends of his feathers. No what I call a typical splash. Put the 12 original babies on Craigslist and have sold six with two spoken for and someone wants eight out of my next hatch. The paint that I have left does not have large or very dark markings at this time but hope it will mature into a nice looking bird. I plan to keep three, the Paint, hopefully a Splash and the one what I am calling "Light chocolate. I will need to wait to see how the three mature.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. WamsleyB

WamsleyB New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Thank you

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

8. WamsleyB

WamsleyB New Egg

May 6, 2017
    I read all the ways to post a photo but none will work so far.

WamslyB

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hmm, are you using Desktop or mobile? Some people have problems with uploading with mobile.

10. WamsleyB

WamsleyB New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Laptop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by