Long time reader, new subscriber...new bantams!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ambunny0902, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ambunny0902

ambunny0902 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    Livonia, NY
    Hi BYC! We have been reading for over a year now, and no idea why we waited till now to sign up for an account!

We are in upstate New York, just south of Rochester. We have a new start up farm with market gardening, fruit orchards, sea buckthorn orchards, honeybees, and eggs!!!

We started last spring with 1 dozen chicks, and 10 made it. Right now we have 4 Black Australorps, 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and 3 Rhode Island Reds. They are laying machines and we average 8 eggs/day. We are all addicted to chicken life, and can't get anough of our sweet family members and their personalities!

We have another dozen chicks coming in a couple weeks, including our first shot at a roo. We have 4 more plymouth rocks (one of them is the roo), 4 leghorns, and 4 Ameraucanas on order. Looking forward to learning more bout new breeds and seeing how things go with the rooster.

We did a little whim purchase at TSC the other day and got 8 little bantams to keep in the backyard while all the other chickens are in the orchards. I know that it is hard to tell what breeds they represent, but I thought I would post some pics (if I can figure out how) and see if anyone has a clue. There are 6 that look like little chipmunks (which I read that could be several different breeds), their chipmunk markings are very distinctive, they are non-feathered pinkish legs with 4 toes. There are 2 that are yellow, one solid, and one with the chipmunk stripe on the back. They both have feathered feet with pinkish legs and 4 toes. I am thinking the yellows may be cochins? Silkies have black or dark skin, right?

Any thoughts would be welcome! So excited to be here.

One of the chipmunks...several angles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The yellow chipmunk, feathered feet, pink, 4 toes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another chipmunk...I think, they all look the same!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The yellow, feathered feet, pink, 4 toes. There is a very faint
    blackish strip that looks like it would be the chipmunk outline...almost invisible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have to say those are some seriously adorable chicks. Several breeds do start with chipmunk markings . When your chicks are 6 weeks or older, you can post their new photos at "what breed or gender is this." [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ambunny0902

ambunny0902 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    Livonia, NY
    Thank you! We think they are pretty adorable too....but we are a little partial. ;)
    Waiting! That's the hard part. LOL

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! :weee

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us and love the pics!

best wishes
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ambunny0902 [​IMG] Welcome!

Cuteness overload!!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Olivermarc88

Olivermarc88 Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2017
    Any luck on this? Or any recent photos? I'm trying to figure out the same with one of mine. The feathered legs are causing some confusion IMG_20170623_092803.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by