longer incubation period with low humidity??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaGeniaLoca, Feb 21, 2012.

1. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have some duck eggs in the incubator that are supposed to go into lockdown on Thursday. When candling, they look to be around day 19 development (based on pictures from Mink Hollow), but should be at day 23. If my humidity has been too low, around 40 instead of 50, will that slow development and take a few days longer to hatch, or does it affect them in a different way? I'm worried that I've harmed them somehow.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    First, take a deep breath... If you are counting the first day of putting the baby eggs in, you are early by one day, it's only after a full 24 hours that you count that as day 1! Duck eggs sometimes take 24 to 28 days to develop. Are you still turning them??? If yes, I would stop turning them and really up that humidity in your incubator until droplets form on the window of the stryo or even the cabinet... Mist down those eggs with warm water and start that lock down if you haven't already done it. You can put damp warm kitchen towels in there with rubber bands on them. I'm praying for a miraculous hatch for you! Farmer Nancy

3. LaGeniaLoca

LaGeniaLoca Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Yorba Linda, CA
    They went in on 1/29, and I read that they should hatch at day 28, so I'm thinking lockdown on the 25th day, which is 2/23. Is that not right? I expected them to fill up more of the egg by now. Oh, and I have them in an automatic turner at the moment, and like I said, they look like the day 19 pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by