Longer tail means it's a girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AddictingChickens, May 9, 2011.

1. AddictingChickens

AddictingChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    westford, MA
    I have two bantam cochins that were born on March 19th. Is the one with the longer tail a girl? It's comb is not as red as the other one. I already have a Roo and not enough hens for more than one.

The pictures of the yellow/gold/black bantam chicks were born on April 1 and are exactly the same...both girls too??? I don't know what breed they are so if you might know, do tell! : )
    THank you!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I think they are all roos. [​IMG] Where did you get your chicks from? Cochins shouldn't have "hard" tails like that and that is an odd wing carriage for Cochins too. I'm not sure what breed your other banties are but they look like they might have some Old English Game in them.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Both appear to be cockerels. Neither appears to be a Cochin.

4. AddictingChickens

Sep 9, 2010
    westford, MA
    Oh boy! My chicks sat on them and hatched them on their own. Even though one tail is way longer than the other, they are both roos? Boo hoo! Same for the gold ones? What can I observe on them that determines this as my mom cochins are sitting on about 20 eggs that should be hatching in the next 10 days.... Oh man.

5. AddictingChickens

Sep 9, 2010
    westford, MA
    oh, btw, forgot to mention that the Moms are cochins (really feathery with feathers on their leggs) and the Dad is an old English Roo. As for the gold ones, I have a pretty small gold, tan and black hen that I think is the mom that also bred with the Roo - old English

6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Wow I agree all roos, must be roo season or something cause I got a butt load of roos this time around.

7. AddictingChickens

Sep 9, 2010
    westford, MA
    Few more pics...just in case any one you want to change your minds that they are roosters - : ) What do I do with all these Roosters?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:You can always sell them, people are always looking for these type breeds for their hens.

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    roooooooooooo's

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, ALL roosters! Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by