longest feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TATERsmom, Jan 14, 2009.

1. TATERsmom

TATERsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    Does anyone have any Phoenix fowl. I read they hold the record for having the longest feathers. Would love to see pics.

2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    actually the Onagadori has the record for longest feathers. The phoenix has been bred to produce great lengths of tail as well. Longest any of mine ever got (before breaking off) was 5 foot.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Perhaps a silly question, but NOT counting tail feathers (in other words, the feathers that cover the body, wings, head, etc.), which breeds have longer feathers than others? Anyone know the genetics involved?

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to say my one roo cochin by far has the longest body feathers than anyone in my flock.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a phoenix boy who is very young yet. He's handsome I do have to say. He's about 7 months old right now and his tail feathers still have a lot of growing to do but they are pretty long already. I need to take a full picture of him but you can see him here on my blog...just scroll a few pages down.

http://breakawaycarriejean.blogspot.com/

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
  7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
  8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Minohiki

Or

Genetic Hackles (near the bottom of the page is the picture).

Nice, but not what I meant--I meant where the whole bird tended to have longer feathers, not any particular portion of them. The answer about the cochin was more in line with what I was asking. Sort of like the difference between a smooth coated fox terrier and a pomeranian, to give rather extreme examples, lol.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by