Longest time before EE lays 1st egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddock36, Aug 29, 2010.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Just wondering what is the longest time it took for someones EE or Americauna to lay their first egg. I have two hens that I am pretty sure are very close in age although I have had one since it was a chick and the other I bought at a swap later. I have yet to get an egg from either one of them. The one I have had as a chick I got near the middle of February. It's comb is very red now. I am positive that it is a hen and no there is nowhere in the coop or run that she could be hiding any eggs. I also realize it has been quite hot lately but I have been getting eggs from all my other chickens including a NN that I also got as a chick in February. So what gives [​IMG] ?

Oh, I should also add that all my hens are very healthy and are fed layer crumbles. I even put some extra vitamins in their water.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    My EEs took their sweet time. MifChick laid on her 25th week. Percher laid on her 26th week. I think Ginger laid at about 27th or 28th week. I'm pretty sure the pullet egg that dropped from the perch was probably from MaryAnn at darn near 29 weeks.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hawk and Java are just starting to look like they're going to lay at 25-26 weeks.

Yeah, they take FOR-EV-ER.

3. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Thanks SkyWarrior. I was beginning to think it was part of a never ending EE curse that I seem to have. Sorta goes like this. Bought EE eggs to hatch - None hatched. Bought more - only one hatched and died. Bought pullet chicks - one vanished and the others were roos. Bought a grown hen - laid a clear egg with no shell (finally laid a couple blue eggs but then quit, never to lay again). So then I was given a white EE (or Americauna - not sure) chick which is the one I got in February and bought the other white EE a little later which appears to be the same age and still no eggs. This has been going on for a couple of years now. [​IMG] I just wanted some blue or green eggs like we had when I was a kid.

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Had my first egg from an EE this week...Ladyhawk is 19 weeks old. I have a white 19 wk old EE that looks like she will start any day...red comb and squatting.

Good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  5. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

Had my first egg from an EE this week...Ladyhawk is 19 weeks old. I have a white 19 wk old EE that looks like she will start any day...red comb and squatting.

Good luck. [​IMG]

19 weeks [​IMG]

6. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Honestly, I think some lines are slow layers. Also, I think it depends when you start them on layer feed. I didn't until about 19 weeks for the EEs and about 18 weeks for the others. It took about a month with layer feed and oyster shell. [​IMG]

I have a theory that a number of people start their pullets early on layer and oyster shell. None of my EEs showed the slightest inkling of laying until after 25 weeks. My other hens, RIR, GSL, BSL, BR, have started laying at about 20-24 weeks. [​IMG] I'm not saying anyone here who responded did that, but I suspect people do mix their chicks and hens or get antsy and get them started early.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It is so hard waiting isn't it???

8. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:It's making me crazier than I already am. [​IMG]

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I bought 12 EEs that were part of a 4H project. They hatched mid March, and I got the first beautiful bright mint green (not pale at all; I hope they stay that way!) egg from one of them. Yay! Go girls, go! I have heard other folks say EEs and Ameraucanas can be "late layers". ah, well... c'est la chickens!

10. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Yep! It's my EE curse. They are never gonna lay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by