1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Longest time to hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cracker, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    In another post I mentioned that my broody Silkie had been pushing several eggs away, that I kept putting back under her. They were always cold, but I put them back anyway. The last time she did it I put them in the incubator. Several days later one of them hatched. Several days after that another one hatched. Then the ones that she kept, hatched. I still had one in the incubator that I had kinda forgotten about. I finally looked at a calendar and realized that the egg was at least 26 to 29 days old, had been cold numerous times, and I had better throw it out before I had a stinky mess to clean up. The next morning I went to do just that and found that it was pipping. A few hours later I had a brand new Silkie chick! After it dried I noticed that it seemed like it had a thicker and longer feathering than most of my others have had. Maybe that was because it had gotten cold [​IMG]. I have never had one take that long.

[​IMG]

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    [​IMG]

Aren't you glad you were persistant and patient!? That is a very cute little chick!!

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    That is just plain old sweet!!!! Congratulations !![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    Has anyone else had such an extended hatching time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by