Longhorn comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzintx, Dec 11, 2016.

1. suzintx

suzintx Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I have 1 White Rock and two white Leghorn suddenly I only have one with a floppy comb. What the heck happened to the other ones comb[​IMG]

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Leghorn hens are supposed to have a floppy comb.

Edited to add.... I just reread your post and what you seem to be saying is that one of the leghorn's floppy combs is no longer floppy. If that is the case, then my guess would be that she is going into moult or perhaps even becoming broody or maybe unwell. The blood flow to the comb decreases and the comb shrinks to a point where it is no longer big and heavy enough to flop to the side. Hopefully she is just going into moult.
    My exchequer leghorns are just starting to resume laying after moult and one of them now has such a huge red floppy comb, she can only see out of one eye. It wasn't like that a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. suzintx

suzintx Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    OMG. Thank you. I was flipping out. I read so much and never read that. On a side note, I also have 2 ExBantam bUT they don't have floppy combs

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by