Longing for chickens in Palm Coast, Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NectarineRN, Nov 17, 2015.

1. NectarineRN

NectarineRN Just Hatched

Nov 17, 2015
    Hi my name is Chris-
    I have been wanting chickens forever. I bought a house last year with lots of space and am hoping to put chickens on it in the near future. I live within Palm Coast City limits(S section), in Flagler County. I have looked up ordinances, rules and regulations and all I keep coming up with are conflicting answers, mostly they point to, "No you can't have a chicken". I know of peple who have their chickens illegally, however, I would like to go about it while obeying the law. This is unacceptable to me. I would like to know if anyone has any idea how I can go about trying to get backyard chickens approved in the Palm Coast area. Is there anyone that is willing to help me with it?
    I would appreciate any help that would be provided. I have been trying to research all week on my own, however, I am not sure even where to start. This is my starting point. Thank you in advance for any help that is offered.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Chris, [​IMG]

You might check in with our state thread and chat with others in your county:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

I'm glad you're going about this legally and not trying to keep chickens on the sly. In those cases too often, a neighbor will complain, fines are levied and the chickens have to be re-homed. It would be very upsetting to have to give up birds after you get attached to them.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out in your favor!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I wish I could help you, but unfortunately I'm a long way from Florida and don't know anything about Palm Coast City ordinances where chickens are concerned. Yorkshire coop and NorthFlChick have given you some good links to post on. Also, if you are uncertain about what the actual ordinances are regarding chickens, I would check with your city hall. Someone there should be able to give you a definitive answer. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would be good for you to post on your state thread so perhaps folks will rally behind you to get the laws changed. You may also come across from Bycer's who have gotten their town/city laws changed and can tell you how best to present your case. I hope you will be successful. If Chicago can allow chickens - everywhere can.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by