Longtail high percentage Onagadori

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChirpChickens, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Yesterday, i just bought 5 rare Longtail high percentage Onagadori chicks!(no pheonix blood in them) I've never had anylike them before so I'm excited and if you have any tips/experiences you've had with them! My one perculiarity about them is their wings! I've had other chicks of different breeds but never with wings so big. Are they ever this big compared to the chick? there are 5 of them and they range between 2-4 weeks i think.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Their not easy, many still have corn allergy, they have very specific diet and housing requirements. Tail maintenance is time consuming, some will waste away for no apparent reason and I don't know where your located but they can't take cold of any kind.
    PS. If they are non-moulters they have a fair amount of phoenix blood in them.

3. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    ok thanks. we are in cali so they wont get that cold.. plus we can hook a heat lamp to their stall.. and the breeder kinda explained their breeding blood background and no pheonix in them.. this specific breed was started by Steve Rogers if you've heard of him, he has a youtube video of his white rooster with an 11 ft tail. Do you know anything about tht breed?

4. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    If your talking about David rogers from Indiana then ya I know him. These birds are still in the project phase and will be for some time so they can't really be called a "breed" yet and there is still a lot of variation among them. The project was started by Tony-Marie with one onagadori hen that I believe was bred to a phoenix cock, so they would all have phoenix blood, but I could be wrong. Check out onagadori.net, there's a lot of good info on that site.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChirpChickens

Dec 31, 2013
    thank you this should help! and the man i bought them from said he's been breeding this specific kind for about 9 years after he bought some breeders from this rodgers guy. most of what he said seemed to make me doubt something.. He made the whole situation wierd but i was confident I was getting something along the lines of what he was saying and hey the price was low so yeah. but thanks for the info! I'll look into it. heavy research. lol[​IMG]

6. Treatsrule

Treatsrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Murrieta, Ca
    I had an Ohiki chick with huge wings this past year. Maybe it's a long tail thing. If you haven't already check out the book Long Tail Fowl Their History and Care by David Rogers and TonI-Marie Aston.

7. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I have that book and I love it.

8. Joe Bakkie

Joe Bakkie New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Did you get them from a breedeR in auburn ca. If so how are they. Wondering if there everything they claim them to be

9. mountainbass

mountainbass Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2015
    How are your birds doing?
    I'm also in cal
    Would be nice to see pictures of them
    I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics of mine

10. mountainbass

mountainbass Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2015
    Here is one of my two brothers 6 month old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by