1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Longtime Lurker, Newbie Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WhiteRockCrazyBird, Nov 16, 2017.

1. WhiteRockCrazyBird

WhiteRockCrazyBird Songster

Nov 16, 2017
    central Illinois
    Finally joined BYC, although I come here often for advice! Great website. Now for the intro.

In the spring of 2016, my son asked to bring home a couple of chicks from his FFA's hatch project. We live in the country on 2 acres with horses, cats and dogs, and we had thought about chickens several times, so sure! We re-did an old coop, made a run and bought some other young hens, too. Just recently, we rehomed our rooster (one of the FFA chicks) and added 4 hens to the flock. So currently we have our original girls, all around 20 months old:
    White Rock Ivory, also called CrazyBird. She's the tamest and will get in your face no matter what you're doing and demand treats!
    Black Australorp Ebony
    Buff Brahma Cluckie (Lady Cluck)
    Cinnamon Queen Cinnamon
    Plymouth Barred Rock Peppa
    Easter Egger Olive
    Easter Egger Sienna
    And our newbies, all around 8 months old:
    Black Asian Cackle
    Black Asian Penny
    Production Red Scarlett
    Production Red Sunshine

All of my older girls are molting now except Crazy. 2 of the newbies are laying. So out of 11 hens, we get 2, sometimes 3 eggs per day! I've had chickens in the past, but never knew them to be so entertaining! My husband and I can stay outside with them for hours and just watch them. They come running when you pull in the drive or come out of the house. We also have 2 horses, 4 dogs (3 are Great Danes!), 2 indoor/outdoor cats and one of three children still at home, a senior in high school this year. We live in central Illinois. Thanks for having us!

Heather & Jeremy and flock

Attached Files:

2. JumbeThePigDuck

JumbeThePigDuck Chirping

Nov 7, 2017
    Welcome! I’m pretty new too, but the site is easy to navigate, so you can learn quickly. The speed at which people respond is insane, and most are more helpful than any customer service I’ve ever seen.

3. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Crowing

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Glad you finally decided to join us!
    You have some cute girls there. Your place sounds awesome!

4. :welcome Nice looking coop and flock .We're you fond the time to join us . If you've been lurking then you know we can get a touch wordy some times . So just oil up your fingers and pop your two cents in anywhere you think it belongs .There is always room on the roost :frow

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

G’Day from down under Heather & Jeremy :frow Welcome!

Loved the intro! Loved the pics! Thank you so much for sharing.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

6. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:yato have you jpin the family. Enjoy your time here!:)

7. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Songster

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! :woot

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :welcome Heather and Jeremy - thanks for joining us.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's nice to meet you Heather & Jeremy, Welcome to Backyard chickens :frow. The only suggestion if would make is to have 1/2" hardware cloth backing your run fencing., to keep out predators and keep small chicks inside. A solid top on a run will also give some protection from the elements, as well as keep out raptors.

10. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Crossing the Road Premium Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Madison, FL
    My Coop
    Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    & Photos!!
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

rjohns39, 007Sean and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: