Lonley duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckluck2, Oct 11, 2016.

1. duckluck2

duckluck2 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    I was wondering dose a duckling have to have another duck to keep him company or is he good by himself ...do they get depressed I've read that ducks are very emotional

2. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Ducklings need duck companionship or they will not thrive.

3. duckluck2

duckluck2 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Really? I tried to get my duckling a companion but unfortunately did not work out we paired him up with a chick and a rooster becuase there were no ducklings available ...and i ended up giving them away they would peck his feet and did not enjoy there company

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So you still have your single duckling?

For the time being, an unbreakable mirror can help.

There are exceptions, but most often it seems ducks do better with some ducky company, even if they are part of a larger mixed flock.

5. Duck Drover

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    I would not give a duckling a chicken companion. They need socialization with other ducks, preferably close in age.

6. acriswell4

acriswell4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2016
    How do you know if a duck is happy or thriving? I have a single drake thats 3 months old

7. Duck Drover

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Ducks are noticeably stressed and depressed if left alone as it is not healthy for their social and emotional development, plus it can effect them physically. I had a duckling that was alone for a couple days between selling her hatchmates and the next hatch and she paced so frantically that she twisted her leg and needed months of physical therapy for her to walk normally again (with a slightly more pronounced waddle than the rest of the ducks). She also cried so pathetically when she was alone that I had to keep her with me at all times to console her. I would never intentionally put a baby through that again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by