Look at all my chicks! Lets Guess what they are!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Brianm97, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    I recently hatched a ton of chicks for the first time over the last few months. Below are them all. There are a few mystery chicks that I want help guessing as to what they are. I'm aware it's WAY WAY too young to guess for real but I'm just curious. Also a buddy of mine said you can sex any bird at 2 days old by the way their feather "stock" things are. Is this true? All the black ones are french black copper marrans. They are the children of the French BCM club presidents stock. Also below are some older birds (the first ones i hatched) I need some help on one of them. Well I've bored you enough now... Here comes the pics.

One of the older ones. Came from a silkie egg but is multi colored and has real feathers.
    [​IMG]
    The wing.
    [​IMG]
    Black beak.
    [​IMG]
    black skin
    [​IMG]
    extra toe
    [​IMG]
    Bird in motion... :)
    [​IMG]
    Mystery one.
    [​IMG]
    number 2
    [​IMG]
    number 2 top shot
    [​IMG]
    number 3+4
    [​IMG]
    3 and 4
    [​IMG]
    other big mystery bird
    [​IMG]
    foot shot.
    [​IMG]
    all our chicks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    That chick is a mutt. The silkie probably mated with another mixed or pure rooster and made that one!

And yes your friend is right. You can sex a chick by their wing feathers but it's not always right. That's why it's best to have them professionally vent sexed.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can feather sex chicks that are bred fast feathering female to slow feathering males. Much of hatchery stock is bred in this way. When done, male and female chicks can be differentiated by the length of the primary and secondary wing pinfeathers.

4. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    He said something Like that. I accidently hit submit as i was uploading. There are the rest of the pics up now

5. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    In the wing feathers in 2 day olds, the female's primary wing feathers should be bigger and be long then short then long then short long short long short etc. None should be the same. But male's wing feathers will all be the same size and will feather out slowly.....this is what I've heard and it works for me about 90% of the time.

6. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Are both the mutts Too small to sex yet? I know with them I have atleast one EE roo I need to find a home for

7. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    You can try to wing feather sex them or find some one who can professionally vent sex them. Vent sexing is how hatcheries usually do it and it's about 95% correct but if done wrong, you can really hurt the chick. The best thing to do is wait until they start feathering out more, then look for hackle feathers(neck) and saddle feathers(on their back) Roosters hackles and saddles are longer and shinier than hens. Or you could wait until the egg or the crow...

8. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    That works too.. But do you see how many chicks there are there. I didn't expect that. We aren't even supposed to have chickens lol. So Im Only keeping one roo probably. I gotta get rid of a lot of thoes chicks and no one wants them by that age... I'll take the chicks to my buddy who is a breeder. He can vent sex them. And he is really good at the feather ones. I keep trying to convise him to slip up and give me a jubilee chick instead of a Bcm :D Haha

9. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Haha yeah, Now that I look at it, the mystery bluish, white one with feathered legs looks like a rooster to me.

10. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Oh good. NOT. I love that one haha. I actiaully bought that one as a Pullet. i hatched the rest. smh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by