Look at all the awesome breeds I just got! Need help on a few!!!

mnhomestead

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Picked up 20 chicks yesterday for an awesome deal from someone who does an egg swap with all sorts of people (not sure if it is the egg swap on BYC or not, I e-mailed to ask but no response yet. Would love to give a shout out to her (her name is Kristie) on here though if she's a member...) Could not be happier with what I got and really excited to have the oppurtunity to raise and help keep these rare breeds going!

Here is what I got, and need help on a couple:

~2 Rhodebars and
~2 Crested Cream Legbars
(was told a pair of each hatched- Need help determining who's who.)
These two are banded the same, but both look like rhodebar males to me from pics I see online... what does everyone else think?

These two are also banded the same, and neither have the white dot, I think the one definitely looks rhodebar/ or cream legbar with the chipmunk striping, but the other one looks a bit different from pics I find online and more 'puffy faced'...

~5 Swedish flower hens (hopefully getting more end of the month!)

Does the front big one look more like a marans to you? I know sfh come in all colors, but the sfh all had red bands and this guys looks pink and looks like he has a different structure to him... I also had one Marans (seller wasn't sure- maybe blue/lav split) I got and it also has a pink band, maybe I am looking at them wrong and mixed them up or maybe got two Marans...

~ 1 Marans (possible blue/lav split)

~1 Icelandic (I am on her list to get more at the end of month or so!!)
Do they always hatch so tiny? Because I think this one was supposed to be two weeks old and it's a little peanut :)

~4 Coronation Sussex
a couple appear to have to much 'gold', maybe a mix up... supposed to be four of them and when i put them back to grab next group to photograph realized there was one missing from next group (e.o.) and found the ones banded for coronation actually had five marked as corronation, i didn't see it at first because I was only looking for four. So I think there is actually 2-3 CS I got and the others are e.o. or something else. What could the one with gold chipmunk stripes be?

~5 Euskal Oiloa- Basque
Only four shown because I think there was a bit of a mix up with coronations maybe...

Tell me what you think!!

Last edited:
Here is the other chick marked the same as coronation sussex.... thinking maybe another swedish flower hen?

And here is another shot of one of the rhodebar/ cream legbar in question... thinking different breed for sure, looks like a different comb structure

Last edited:
I found out it is the user Profti i got these all from! So, many of these chicks are probably from you fellow byc memebers. I got a great deal and she is really awesome to deal with, and can't thank her enough!
We could use some help figuring out a couple of these that may have been mixed up a bit if anyone knows a bit more about some of these breeds. Once more feathering comes in I will update with more pics.

Thanks!

Maybe I should have put this over on the 'what breed is this' thread since I need help identifying some of these guys....anyone know if/ how I can do that?

Ok, here are more pics a week later. Most of these are now roughly 1 1/2 weeks old.
-Click on pics to enlarge-
Rhodebars:

Cream legbar and... the other one is reddish in color and is getting a beard i think :)

Swedish Flower Hens

Marans

Icelandic

Euskal Oiloa/ Basque and coronation sussex: (she had 5 e.o. that hatched and 4 c.s. that hatched.) One had died that looked like chicks in 1st pic with dark wings.
Took pics today in groups of 'feather likeness'... what do you think? Does the third pic have too much 'gold' in them to be c.s.? (i hatched 1 c.s. in past & it didn't have that gold/yellow head...)

Also, I am concerned about this swedish flower hens eye and demeanor. There doesn't appear to be anything stuck in it and I have wiped it with a warm wet cloth a few times and put non-medicated neosporin on just in case. He seems to keep his eyes closed quite a bit and is 'calmer' in nature, see him standing and sleeping a lot when I go out to check the brooder. No discharge from eyes or nose. No pasty butt. Have seen him eat and drink. There is a spot on beak too, is it from the egg tooth still or something...The right eye almost seems like it isn't sitting right in socket or something...

Here is a pic from a week ago (can't believe I actually had a pic of same chick on the right side!)

All other chicks are fine and acting normal so I don't think it is the start of something illness wise... could it be injury or deformed/under-developed? Should I seperate him from the rest?

Let me know what you think please!

Back
Top Bottom