Look at all the pretty colors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by debilorrah, Aug 3, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I never these ducks would grow up to be sooo gorgeous!

[​IMG]

2. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    They are pretty but I have a question for you. How do you drain your pool? We only have four ducks and I have to dump ours twice a week and refill. Of course within the hour they have it all muddy again but I don't really have the energy to be dumping water several times a day. Your's looks nice dug in the ground.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They are beautiful. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Quote:We flush it with the hose. Dump algae killer in there at night so it is absorbed by morning when they wake. We dig a hole and use those cheapo plastic pools. We replace it about every 3 months. Also, ducks prefer it dirty. If you haven't noticed, they will purposely throw dirt in the water. We test for slime, then flush. We don't really pay attention to how clean the water is, just the pool itself. Ducks are notorious for making a mess.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I do feel like it's a reflection on caring for them when someone comes to see them and their water is mud!!! I do notice that everytime I refill the water they immediately try to muddy it up. Thanks. I hadn't read that anywhere.

6. debilorrah

Quote:When we have people over, we explain to them that ducks love mud. We even water the dirt for them to make a mud puddle. They sit in it all day!!!! Just like chickens with bare bacsk - people think there is something wrong with them when all it is is an active roo.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I love it when they get down into the mud. They are so disgusting looking when they come back to you showing you how much fun they had. Mine have mud on their chests, head, bill and you name it. They are so happy and proud of it. All I can say show them their pool and they are clean in no time. I think the mud nourishes their feathers, just like humans use mud on their body. Hey it also keeps the psychologist out of the run. Or have you seen a duck that need to lay on someones couch telling them their problems? [​IMG]

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey it also keeps the psychologist out of the run. Or have you seen a duck that need to lay on someones couch telling them their problems?

[​IMG]

I always feel like I have to apologize for the state of my water holes too, but anyone who's had ducks understands, lol! I only clean mine every two or three days, but they do love that fresh water when it first goes in there. Either that, or they really hate it and so they have to rush over to get it as dirty as possible as fast as possible!!​

9. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:[​IMG]

I always feel like I have to apologize for the state of my water holes too, but anyone who's had ducks understands, lol! I only clean mine every two or three days, but they do love that fresh water when it first goes in there. Either that, or they really hate it and so they have to rush over to get it as dirty as possible as fast as possible!!

haha I thought mine loved the fresh water too.... never thought it could be that they hate it and want it dirty... within minutes of me changing it, they run around mad, in and out of the water until its black, then calm down [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

I can't believe none of you ever connected the dots. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by