Look at little Ebony now! Advice on eye covering hairstyle please.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Annie75, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    In August I had my own chicken hatching miracle, hatching four little chicks in my bed. They all survived and 3 of them have gone to new homes. However little Ebony, the smallest and last to hatch captured my heart and has stayed to live with Lulu the silkie and Henny Penny my brown hen.

Ebony is a gorgeous little silkie. She has the most stupid hairstyle and the most adorable placid personality....maybe cause she can't see a darn thing! Is it time to ruin her 'do' so she can see? Do I trim it or use a hair tie?

She's teeny weeny and I'm wondering if it's because she can't see to keep up her food intake. In fact her head is almost bigger than her body.

Look at her pictures and try not to kiss your screen..it leaves marks.[​IMG]

Ebony hatching

[​IMG]

Ebony (up the top of the pile of chicks) after being kindly adopted by Lulu

[​IMG]

Ebony standing

[​IMG]

Ebony sitting. If it wasn't unsanitary I would kissy kissy kissy that chookie!!

2. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    hi again
    I have several Silkies and Showgirls with huge topknots. I use the coated ponytail holders. I so hate to clip them if I can help it. So have discovered if I pull the topknot up and band it they can see for being in the yard. And when I put them away for the night I carefully remove the band. In their own pens they know where everything is as long as you don't move it. Hope this helps.
    Suz

3. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have a teeny white Silkie hen she only weighs around a pound. She's just a pet here.

4. Annie75

Jul 17, 2011
    I think I'll do the hair tie. Thank you [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a beautiful Silkie. I hope the hair thingy works. Kiss her if you want to!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She's precious! [​IMG] I know what you mean about their hair-dos! I tried putting in a hair tie, but that didn't last long, [​IMG]. Thanks for sharing.

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Such a cute, fluffy silkie :love

8. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    here is my silkie with her crazy doo

[​IMG]

9. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    My little silkie Button had a hair-do like that. She's the only bearded silkie, so she just ended up sitting quietly while those with less impractical hair-dos ran around. I had no other option than to chop her beautiful dorky do. [​IMG] However, she is much much happier now she can see!

10. Annie75

Jul 17, 2011
    Ok so we've tried the hair tie which lasted all of 20 minutes :( Now it's time for the scissors. Poor little chookie's gonna look even sillier. I'll put up a photo when I'm done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by