1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look at my buttons!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cluckcluck42, Oct 29, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Here they are! I just got them a month ago. I love them, they are such charasmatic little things. And all that pewpewpewpewpewing- so cute! I can't wait to hatch some of their tiny eggs and see what comes out. [​IMG]

The boy is blue and he has a bright red butt, it is intense. He also drops his wings like a turkey and motorboats around the cage, bumping into everyone. Is this normal button quail behavior?? lol Does anyone know what colours they are?? Roxi and Roxi are my favourite- the two identical girls with the whitey pink sheen on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Looks like you're a bit light in the boy department, they should be in m/f pairs [​IMG]

But they are very pretty, and I love the sounds they make too [​IMG] If you decide to get more boys, I'm up to my eyebrows in them [​IMG]

3. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Yeah, I didn't know until after I brought them home that they are supposed to be paired. :S Not that they mind, the boy loves them all equally and the girls get along great. They are all cuddling up together right now lol. I was worried when I read they were supposed to be paired off but there hasn't been any issues. If any pop up we will get some boys and pair them off.

The breeder had whites and light blues, she said they came from these guys. I can't wait to hatch some!

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They probably do better in groups if there are more females than males. Mine are male-heavy, and most of them have bald heads/backs to prove it [​IMG]

5. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Yeah one of the females we got was in the teenager brooder and she had chunks of feathers missing out of the back of her head. We were originally going to get a trio then I thought why not get another girl, so we got her too. (figured they were like chickens, the more girls the better) She was really timid at first and very agitated but after that first day she has been so relaxed. Must be a relief to only have one boy bothering you.

I hope you can get rid of some boys soon!!

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Yeah one of the females we got was in the teenager brooder and she had chunks of feathers missing out of the back of her head. We were originally going to get a trio then I thought why not get another girl, so we got her too. (figured they were like chickens, the more girls the better) She was really timid at first and very agitated but after that first day she has been so relaxed. Must be a relief to only have one boy bothering you.

I hope you can get rid of some boys soon!!

You and me both [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I love your little Blue Faced Male! [​IMG]
    Your Cinnamon females are pretty. [​IMG]

8. cluckcluck42

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I love your little Blue Faced Male! [​IMG]
    Your Cinnamon females are pretty. [​IMG]

Oh is that what they are called! THank you!!

Is the other female Coturnix coloured??

Does anyone elses button male run around with his wings dropped?? He looks like a tiny turkey :O​

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I love Buttons! I hatched out several about a year and a half ago! So darn cute, about the size of a bumble bee!! [​IMG] Enjoy them!

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have noticed one of my male buttons 'strutting', it's very cute [​IMG]

ETA: The female on the right of the first 2 and last pictures looks like a normal wild, though could be a golden pearl, I'm always confusing the two [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by