Look at my Pics, do I need more ventilation???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chfriedmam, Jun 24, 2016.

1. chfriedmam

chfriedmam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    Ok, I haven't done any woodworking since I made a footstool in 8th grade, so go easy on my coop in progress please!!! BUT, do you think i have enough ventilation? I'm in Los Angeles, so warm and dry. It's 4x4', 3 ft. off ground (ya, I know, kinda high). All the green areas will be hardware cloth windows. Blue is doors. I could add more openings at the middling height, but I've avoided it because the roost bar is there. I will put a plywood roof covered with corrugated panels, so I COULD also have a big mesh cutout in the plywood. What do you say, is it airy enough?? TY. Once I have all the cutouts done I'm moving it off the porch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I think it looks good.... Will they have access to a run? If so, they can decide if it's too warm inside. Can you put the coop in the shade? I cannot, so I have a fan in my coop for a pair of youngsters that are too small to free range. They have a run with shade cloth over it At night, it cools off enough that I turn off the fan. With the doors closed they have 2 windows, and it's fine in there.

3. chfriedmam

Dec 20, 2015
    Thanks. Yes, including + they will have 32sqft run. Plus we might build a tiny pvc hoop tractor

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just don't put the roof on, flush with the walls. Leave at least a 3 inch gap between the walls and the roof, all the way around. Make sure the roof overhang is ample, and don't use metal or clear vinyl. Those roofing materials tend to have an amplifying effect on the temp inside.
    Also consider making the whole front wall one big hardware cloth window, with a part framed out for the pop door.

5. chfriedmam

Dec 20, 2015
    Ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by