Look at my Silkies- *pic heavy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CHIC, Sep 17, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my roo- Big Poppa, he has a slight grey color on his back- don't know why
    [​IMG]
    This is Lollipop, she has a slight buff color on her- don't know why either
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the family, Big Poppa, Lollipop, and Chickadee, I will have to get more pics of Chickadee- the baby

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats a sweet little family. [​IMG]

3. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    do they look like nice birds, as far as Silkies go? I want to breed them.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Thought I would post on both of your threads. As far as silkies go, they are pet quality. Not saying anything is wrong with that, they just aren't the best for their breed. They are both lacking in their crests. The male could use darker face, an less wattles.

5. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    If you got them for pets, you will be happy with them!
    Pet quality for sure..but always cute![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For non-bearded silkies, they are not too bad. But they are pet quality.

They are lacking crest size, their tails are not as rounded and soft as they ought to be. I don't like the shape of his comb; hers looks too big. (Comb size on males doesn't bother me.) And their foot feathering isn't as full as it should be.

My recommendation would be to get a better quality pair for breeding and enjoy these as pets.

7. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Thanks for the input... I am not trying to breed for SQ. So would I just asvertise them as pet quality? Will that make people think something is wrong with them?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    IMO, I don't think that breeding a poorer quality bird so that you can sell the offspring (or eggs) is appropriate. Better to acquire a better quality bird if you want to breed and sell, or simply enjoy your pets.

9. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Well, I am not trying to profit from them, I was really just wanting to breed them for babies because they are the only set of birds I have and I have never done that. I am not trying to look like I'm a professional or anything. That is why I am asking these questions. I want to breed for babies but I don't really have room to keep them. I feel like an excited elementary schooler..lol. So, that being said, if I let people see the parents and let them know that they ARE just pet quality, do you see anything unethical about that?

10. purplefrog

purplefrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Independence, Virginia
    There is nothing wrong with breeding your birds. I think the point the others are trying to make is that most folks tend to try and breed for a better quality if you are going to breed in the first place. I know there are folks out there who breed for profit and then those who breed for the experience of hatching their chicks from their own stock. It is sorta like breeding a mutt to a mutt and having more mutts so to speak. I am only using that as an example, you know folks that do just that sort of thing I am sure. I know where you are coming from, as I wanted to do just the same thing. Your birds are sweeties for sure and I know you enjoy them to the fullest, which is what you are supposed to do. Love your pets. I hope I have not stepped on any toes, that is never my intention. I am a newbie at this sort of thing as well. I learned from breeding horses, it costs the same amount of money to feed a mix breed or low end bred horse as it did for me to feed a higher quality animal. It is the same with chickens, dogs, goats, cats, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by