1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look at the difference in size between these 2 chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amarook, Mar 26, 2009.

1. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    These are 2 RIRs Supposed to be the same age. Edited to add: They will be 4 weeks this Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :[​IMG]

FYI the reason the one has a yellow zip tie on it's leg is because I read some where on here that the RIR chicks with a stripe on their head indicated it might be female. So just for the heck of it my DBF helped me band the ones with stripes to see what happens.

Out of the 9 birds I have left, 6 of them are about the same size as the one on the left. The one on the right is the smallest of the bunch. I have one only a tad bigger than that one with spraddle legs. It has improved drastically since when we first discovered it was spraddle.
    The 3 of the smaller birds is in between the biggest and the smallest size-wise.

And my bro-in-law got his birds yesterday. They are Cornish Rocks.
    He bought 12. They lost one last night.

They are cute though. We have to keep reminding my nieces that they are food not pets.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ummmm yeahhhhh noooo way!!! cant be the same age, the one on the left even lost its "baby" face

3. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    That's the crazy thing though, they all looked exactly the same when I brought them home.
    [​IMG]

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!! thats so crazy. [​IMG]

5. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Now those look EXACTLY like my packing peanuts.... I am still trying to figure out which ones are the hens...

6. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Do you live near a nuclear reactor? [​IMG]

7. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    Quote:Actually... There is a nuclear power plant down the hill and across the river in Ohio.
    [​IMG]

8. amarook

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I do supplement them with meal worms, and crickets pretty often.
    They fight like crazy over them.

Do you think it's possible that maybe the little one gets them stolen all the time, and doesn't get to enjoy the extra protein?

Would that affect the growth rate you think? [​IMG]

Here's the bigger one on my hand for scale.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  9. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Quote:Actually... There is a nuclear power plant down the hill and across the river in Ohio.
    [​IMG]

Ooops - I really was just kidding. Hope it wasn't too much in poor taste.
    [​IMG]

10. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I had the same thing going on with some silkies I was raising last year. I really can't give you any advice since we ended up putting it down. It had a horrible problem with it's rear and we just figured it would be better if we put it out of it's misery. I say as long as it seems to be eating and pooing okay and doesn't seem to be in pain, raise it along with the others and see what happens.

Good luck,

Maria

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by