Look at the difference!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Jun 11, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    This is the call duck that I am having trouble with. They are 3-4 weeks old. I have had them for 2 weeks. The tiny one "Pippin" has not grown at all. After a visit to an avian vet yesterday, we still don't know. She thinks it may be something genetically wrong. Pippin eats, drinks, poops and plays just like the others...............!?!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Oct 23, 2008
    Northwestern Minnesota
    Ok besides that its freakishly not normal to still be newborn lookin, its DANG cute and how lucky are you that you have a forever baby ducky!

3. countrybum

countrybum Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    My friend had one like that and once he made sure it was getting plenty of food, it seemed to catch up. The other ducks were more aggressive with eating and it was causing the little one to get food, just not enough. So keep plenty of food down for them.

Or maybe it is a Mallard, they are smaller. I know you said Call, but if the people have more than one type of duck, you never know.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Awwww.... I want it!! [​IMG]

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Odd... I hope its not something life threatening...

If not, enjoy the baby duckling!

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I have a three-day-old mallard right now that's IDENTICAL to your freakishly small duckie.

I hope you're little guy/gal is okay - if it's active and eating and pooping, I guess I wouldn't worry too much!

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    the other ducks are probally eating all the food! Seperate him and feed him alone! He will catch up....

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:The vet put him on antibiotics and when I take him out to give it to him, they all scream with seperation anxiety. I can't seperate them, and the vet said she would not cause that particular stress either. He does eat all the time and the others don't pick on him. As a matter of fact they seem to take real good care of him.

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I saw the pic and i was like [​IMG] that is a HUGE ducklings.Then I read the caption [​IMG]

10. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 In the Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    I had something similar happen to one of my ducklings that eventually passed away due to genetic defects. However he passed away on day 6 after his birth so the fact that your duckling is 3 weeks old is a good thing b/c it means he probably won't have the same fate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: