Look at the mess I've gotten into...Many Pics included!!

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I know, I know...

Should have avoided the feed store this day, but secretly was hoping THEY were in!! And they were!!
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

The DW has told me I could NOT have 5 EE's...so I got 4!!
gig.gif
These are the pics, and they appear to be as old as my other chicks
44703_delete_019.jpg

44703_delete_021.jpg

and here are my 3 week old chicks from Ideal (hatched 2/16/10) now. These are Barred Rocks, RIR's, Australorps and Black Stars.

44703_delete_024.jpg

44703_delete_025.jpg

44703_delete_023.jpg

44703_delete_022.jpg

I have all but my speckled sussex pictured here. They were too skittish today (camera shy!) My flock is now 34 large!

44703_delete_013.jpg

44703_delete_014.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Based only on the picture they are looking pretty crowded. You might want to look into moving them to a larger brooder soon. Keep an eye out for pecking. This sometimes occurs if they are overcrowded.

Quote:
I agree and I am in the process of having this problem solved. The little gluttons exploded in size!! Who knew?
barnie.gif

I am having my friend come over in a couple of days to place screen doors on 3 shipping crates that I have in order to have more brooder space. Also, the brooder in the pic (w/ many birds) is a duplex style, w/ the exact same space available using an archway to connect both sides. There is a better pic on the brooder pic thread near the most recent pages. I think they will be rehomed to newer digs at 4 weeks old. And they have had minimal pecking behavior, which I am surprised at...mostly it is for dominance and not due to stresses of space/feed/water/etc, but I do NOT want that headache!!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
wow 34 - you sure have your hands full.

How do you keep track of them all? I only have 11 and I have named 4 , the others all look the same so I have to wait a few more weeks to see if I can tell them apart.

It's tough, Shelley, and I haven't named them all. I am lucky that I have 5 hens of each breed (5 of those too) so I have a 20% chance of knowing my birds by knowing the breed. the trouble comes in when my packing peanuts are black mostly like my BSL's! One has a brown head and he is called Honcho (get it?). We are naming the others slowly as we note specifics about them!

Back
Top Bottom