Look at this mess. (Hiding eggs)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ErinFchick, Jul 8, 2016.

1. ErinFchick

ErinFchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    NW Georgia
    [​IMG]
    My chickens are just starting to lay. It's going well, not everyone is laying yet, but I'm getting a steady 2-3 eggs a day. I'm okay with that. I did wonder when my ONE EE was going to start laying, but it's really hot here so I didn't worry.
    Today I found one lone green egg in the run. How odd. I picked it up and thought, "I wonder" so I lifted the ramp to the run. This ramp has maybe 6 inches clearance at the highest point. I get squacked at and my EE runs off and leaves this. TWENTY SEVEN green eggs.
    They are beyond beautiful.
    I can't eat them, one of them is at least 27 days old, which would be fine in the fall or winter, I'm not above an older egg, but it's been in the high 90's for weeks.
    I'm mourning the loss of all these eggs I didn't even know I had two hours ago.
    I did put them all in a basket, I figure my kids will want to break the long double yolker looking ones, and then maybe go in the woods and smash them around or something.

I do have three lovely nest boxes. No one uses them. Two lay by the water thingie, one lays right under the nest box.

Dorks.

I love them though.

1 person likes this.
  2. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Oh I hope mine learns to lay in the box. I put a fake egg in there and all. How do I make them use it?

3. ErinFchick

ErinFchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    NW Georgia
    This is my third flock. My first flock all laid in the box and were normal. Second all turned out to be roosters. Every. Single. One.
    This flock lays wherever they want. I have fancy next box bedding, I have fake eggs. I have boxes at different heights. They don't care. They are fairly regular, just all wrong.

4. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Lol she checks it out n pushes the line bedding around but she layed under the tree wonder if it was too hot in there.

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Keep us on our toes don't they?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by