Look at this strange looking Serama chick

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RAREROO, Jun 26, 2010.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Well my mom is a Serama and my brothers and sisters are Seramas, so that means I'm a Serama too then right ?
    [​IMG]

Here is our family photo
    [​IMG]

So I had a duck that was hatching in the bator and it was goint to be the only one to hatch, and I had this Serama hen that went broody on the ground with her own eggs, so I moved her to another cage with her eggs and she didnt like the new place and she wouldnt stay on the nest until about two days later she finally went back to setting. So I figured with her being off the nest for about two days that the eggs she had were probably dead so i figured I would give her this baby duck that was hatching so she would have something to raise and I wouldnt have to run a brooder light for one lonely duck. But when I put it under her, her eggs were pipping too, so she ended up hatching the duck and four of her Serama chicks. Just dont tell the duckling, it still thinks it is a Serama too.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Aww! What a cute family! [​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Awww how cute!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I think your chicken is deformed [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Haha it must be, I dont know why it came out looking different from the other chicks [​IMG]

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Big honking nose...great big flat deformed webbed feet...Wow that poor chicken [​IMG]

That or mama Serama went cheating on her rooster [​IMG]

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Hehe that is cute.My serama hatched a royal turkey poult once.You will probably have to brood the duckling seperate within a few days however.Duckling's get very messy and will get the chicks too wet.It should be ok for a couple day's though.I never had much success trying to brood duck's and chick's after a few day's here.Maybe someone else here has .Good luck and they are all adorable.

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now that is making good use of a broody! Considering how fast they grow I bet Mama Serama is going to be surprised to see this "baby" get much bigger than her in just 2 weeks!
    That is just too cute and funny.[​IMG]

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Exactly I never have either, like you said they work out for the first few days then they make the brooder a horrible mess and get the chicks water all dirty so they go out site. I have a older group of chicks I can put it with when it gets too messy.

10. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep, that is kinda the main reason I done it, I've kinda always wanted to play a mean but hilarious prank like this on a bantam hen by letting her hatch a couple ducks or a gosling and what her try to cover them two weeks later. I really wish chickens grew as fast as ducks and geese though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by