Look at THIS thing! Pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LisaJean, Feb 22, 2008.

1. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the last couple of days I've only been getting two eggs instead of three from my hens. And then just now I went out to check for eggs, and found THIS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is that not the cutest thing ever? So either one of the old hens is on the blink, or one of the young hens is getting ready to start laying. A tiny egg like this is sometimes the first egg from a new layer, correct?

2. SunsetChickens

SunsetChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    Menlo Park, CA
    Is it possible that some other kind of bird is laying in your nest box? None of our girls' first eggs were THAT small. What kind of chickens do you have?

It's adorable!

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    looks like a pullet egg to me. my silkie pullets do that when they start laying a few have been even smaller than that about button quail sized and rbin egg sized. wished i'd of taken pics they where really cute too!! my daughter is 3 so since they where her size i had to cook them up for her to eat,lol.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    That is so adorable! You have to save it.

I would imagine it's from a young layer starting out. [​IMG]

5. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I have barred rocks, ameracaunas, white leghorn, and production reds. No silkies, no bantams. All full size.

I plan to blow the egg and keep it. :)

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I've found two in our nest boxes within the last two weeks. All our chickens are over a years old.I know its not a pullet egg. I know one is from one of the EE as its light green and the othr is pinkish My GD calls them her baby eggs. She is saving them in a box in the fridge.

7. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Yeah....looks like a pullet....they start with tiny cute eggs, but I don't think I have had any that tiny.......the picture of you holding makes it look ity dity. SO CUTE!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Another member of the club!
    (have a questionably sexed `hen' that has laid but three eggs in three years - both tiny). This was what I found when I went looking for info:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had two in the last month. They're called "wind eggs" among other names. Very cute. Mine had a teensy yolk, too!

10. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    We had a tiny one just like that yesterday! It was a little over an inch long. When we broke it we found a normal sized yolk and very little white. I wish I would have saved it instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by