Look at this!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Oct 21, 2013.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
  2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well you had me till duck fat came into it lol I don't eat duck, period. lol

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    veronicasmom,

great find!

GQ, I would substitute butter for the duck fat. And since I am gluten intolerant (sounds like I am a snob, doesn't it?), I would use some GF flour, maybe even try almond flour.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't eat duck either but using butter or even spray oil would be good. sounds yummy.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Duck fat = Very gourmet. Have y'all ever seen what that stuff costs to buy? Unreal.

6. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Yeah, the duck fat part was icky to me too. But the rest sounded good. And that is the first recipe I just happened across specifically calling for duck eggs. I am not nuts about rosemary but loved the lemon idea, or maybe orange and cranberries.....and walnuts!!
    Wonder how many non duck people thought it was weird? LOL

7. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Amiga!, LOL no you don't sound like a snob![​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Goose fat is suppose to be another awesome fat but I think I'll let my geese keep theirs. They may need it for winter.
    I like the idea to of making variations.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, veronicasmom, the word "intolerant" makes it sound like it is my choice. Au contraire, I would choose to be able to digest gluten without health problems!

I like seeing recipes that go beyond what we can buy at the big box grocery store. I am hoping, praying and working for a time we can all produce more of what we eat and use right close to home. Wouldn't it be neat to have regional cultures re-emerge? I am not thinking throwback to 17th century, but just have some more distinctive ingredients, even songs.

There are many excellent musicians in the valley we live in. I did not know that till last year. And songrwiters. We have bunches of good songwriters.

So, hey, maybe I can play with the recipe and come up with something with duck eggs, acorn flower, local butter, and sunroot (a.k.a. Jerusalem artichoke, which is neither from Jerusalem nor is it an artichoke).

And that is my digression for the day, I hope. (c:

10. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    http://www.duckfat.com/menus/MENU FOOD-1.pdf

Check out this restaurant in Portland ME. I cannot bring myself to go in! Their claim to fame are their french fries. French fries are my worst vice! LOL I manage it by only eating REALLY good ones, not the average type. And only once in a while. I would happily live on potatoes and dark chocolate if possible. And maybe in some next life, I will be able to! Anyway, I digress. This restaurant is supposed to be excellent. Just think they should fix the typo on the menu....................(I am weird about things like that![​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by