Look at what's watching my babies!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We have had barred owls for the 2-1/2 years that we have lived here. The adults nest in a hollow tree beside our house and we have always enjoyed watching the babies grow up. They have never bothered our chickens, but this guy was sure watching my 2-week-old chicks that I had just put outside in their covered playpen.

[​IMG]

I actually put a seat cushion on their playpen so they would be shielded by the owl, but they were just so spooked (and so was I) that I finally put them back inside. He's on top of the bird feeder in the second picture. He actually flew off the bird feeder and made a low circle around the playpen before flying to the garage roof - that's when the babies came back inside safe and sound!

[​IMG]

2. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Savannah
    Good looking owl but that is not good... Good Job protecting mama hen![​IMG]

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Owls sure are beautiful, but I'd be scared to let my babies out!

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    That first picture is beautiful!

You're going to need a chicken pen with a good roof to keep that thing out.

5. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    beUTIFUL OWL THOUGH!

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    In the 2-1/2 years we have lived here (and 3 clutches of owls), this is the first baby owl that has shown an interest in the chicks. He isn't bothering the grown chickens. Believe me, I'm not letting these babies out without a roof over their heads!

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Great pics.....beautiful bird. Good luck, keep those babies safe!

8. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    I purchased some bottle rockets (flying fire crackers, in case they call them something different these days) in case I need to convince the hawk family that they should take their interest elsewhere. Thus far it's been effective on the groundhog. When they work right, after the SWOOSH they sound like a gun shot. I think it's federal law that we can't shoot raptors, but I have never seen it written any place that we can't SCARE them...

Your mileage may vary. Good luck with the feather babies!

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    S(he)...the owl that is..... shouldn't be too much of a problem by day as they are nocturnal. It seems that your owl and one we have locally haven't heard that they really should not fly by day .We have an owl that lives in a nearby tree which hoots by day......I think he is trying to be heard above the crowing.

Sandie

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:You cannot Kill, Harrass, Harm or otherwise cause injury....bottle rockets etc is effective but harrassing

OP: Beautiful owl but a bit too curious...great job protecting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by