Look but don't touch cage size

WIchickMama

Free Ranging
Aug 15, 2021
Western WI
Alright will be introducing 2 4 month old pullets to my 7 1 yr old in a couple weeks, what size cage (going to use a wire dog-ish style crate) should I use? I can find a lot for 24x19x17(h) inches but not sure that is big enough. They will be staying in this most of the day and all night, but will have some exercise time during whole flock free range play time. Or should I go up to the next size of 30 inches, thanks

x3 on walling off a section of the run or coop, or maybe try a dog exercise pen instead for more room. Issue with a dog crate for this purpose is the new birds won't have a lot of space to get away from the existing flock if they're hanging around and harassing them. Even if the flock can't touch them, it'll be nerve wracking for the newbies to not be able to back away more than a few inches.

If you use that pen, do not use it for long.

I do it differently. Let the big girls out to free range. Lock the new girls in the coop/run, feed along the fence. This gives everyone more space, this lets the new ones explore the set up, find the escapes, the hideouts without being chased for their lives. They begin to get used to the territory, and the old ones get used to seeing them in there.

As close to dark as you can, let the old ones in. Put the new ones in the crate if you want. Rinse and repeat for a coupe days. Then late in the afternoon, let the new ones out with the old ones. Watch carefully.

Generally there is one or two old biddies that are heartless, and the rest will follow their lead. Put that bird or pair in the crate at night. Rinse and repeat.

Usually less than a week, this will be all settled.

Note**** My coop/run has numerous shelters, hideouts, roosts and multiple feed bowls that are situated so that birds eating at one station, cannot see birds at another station.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom