Look for a toulouse goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by dajen, Feb 18, 2013.

1. dajen

dajen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Newnan, Ga
    My Coop
    I live in Newnan GA and I would like to find a breeder that has aToulouse goose. Am I correct in understanding that this breed is the friendlier of the geese? I'm just looking for a goose to be a companion to our resident pig and also as a guardian for our chickens.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jen

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    geese do not protect chickens (they will and can sound alarms) but in no way will stand up for a flock. They are as likely to be killed by a predator as chickens are. Pigs can kill chickens and turkeys and geese alike as well. Just this weekend I have read two stories of pigs attacking and killing poultry, eating the entire body.

3. dajen

Sep 9, 2012
    Newnan, Ga
    My Coop
    My pig is only here for the short term. But will be replaced yearly!!! I have always liked the look of this breed and also have heard that they do not need the water as much as other varieties. Just learning here!!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Our dewlap toulouse love their pools as much as the other two breeds we have. the production toulouse hatched last spring and raised for meat loved their pools just as much. (we have Dewlaps, Sebastopols, and American)

Geese should always have a second goose friend to live with as they prefer the company of other goose.

5. dajen

Sep 9, 2012
    Newnan, Ga
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the info.

Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by